SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
topherbecker

need to redo our entire heating, A/C, insulation

topherbecker
16 years ago

I live in Arlington, VA. Our house is a 1937 cape cod. We currently have radiant heat powered by a boiler. We'd like to install central air conditioning. Our house has some insulation issues that should be addressed as well. For instance, we have an upstairs bath, pipes on internal walls, that freeze in 1) What type of contractor specializes in whole home comfort? Meaning they don't just install HVAC systems, but they would also assess how well the home is insulated and make recommendations and improvements.

2) We like our radiant heat (at least the cast iron ones we have in the front of our home... not crazy about the baseboard style we have in the addition). But the boiler is on it's last legs. I'm guessing it would be more cost effective to scrap the boiler and go with forced air for both heating and A/C. Will a modern forced air heating system suck all the humidity out of the air as the unit did in our old place.

3) Can anyone recommend a contractor in Northern Virginia? If you have a recommendation, could you be specific as to why you recommend them?

4) Where do I find the 'This Old House' type contractor? Those guys always seem so professional, knowledgable, and able to do high quality jobs. Or is this mostly a show for the cameras?

Thanks for your help.

-Chris

Comments (21)