SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bamahostaman

Heat Pump or A/C & Furnace?

bamahostaman
11 years ago

Our home is 11 years old, 2600 sq ft on the upper levels and a 1800 sq ft basement located in central AL. The basement has one vent off of the main floor system - 4 ton Trane. The second story has a 3 ton Trane. Both are heat pumps.

My challenge is keeping the house cool. We keep our thermostat set at 66 for 9 months of the year. During the winter, we turn the heat on only when it is below 40 outside, and we set the thermostat at 60. For very cold weather, we also have two sets of gas logs.

We also typically keep our bedroom window open a few inches. In addition, for the entire year, the MBR ceiling fan stays on high and we have two other fans pointed at the bed. During the winter, it is often in the mid 50s in the MBR. My wife would love it if we could manage that year round.

The heatpump does fine in Spring and Fall but struggles during the summer when the temp is 90 and over and the humidity is high.

Our main floor heat pump has seen multiple service calls the past two years and it is time to replace it. Do I continue with a new heat pump or would switching to an AC and furnace be better for our needs?

Comments (11)