SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ross4251

Heat Pump+Furnace or Reg AirConditioning+Furnace?

ross4251
17 years ago

I am going to replace my old furnace and air conditioning units and have been getting bids during the last few weeks. I definitely will be going with a variable speed two stage 95% furnace (been looking at Carrier Infinity 96) I was going to get an Infinity 17SEER Air conditioning unit but some heating contractors are telling me to get a heat pump unit instead of the air conditioner (along with the furnace) as the price is just about the same. I Live in Northern Utah so we do have some cold weather. Is there a down side to a Heat Pump? Shorter life? Higher maintenance? Any help with this decision would be greatly appreciated as i don't know anyone with a heat pump. Thanks Bob

Comments (6)

• cdavidh
    17 years ago

I second this question, need 3 spit units, Trane 16i heat pump and xv90 versus Carrier Infinity equivalent systems. Just AC saves a little money. We want to minimize humidity in our house in the summer mostly. Don't know if a heat pump is superior in this regard or not.

• bob_brown
    17 years ago

Answering this question for about the 50th time in the last 3 years. A heatpump produces heat during the winter and cool during the summer. It is not superiour in any way. It is not more efficient, it uses electricity for the heatpump, so to economize the electricity needs to be less expensive per therm than a fossil fuel.

The only thing a heatpump does is give an option as to which utility gets your business. In cold climate less than 42 degrees, the heatpump is not efficient.

• pilchard
    17 years ago

I run my heatpump most of the winter, and find its useful down to about 20F. Below that, I turn on my fossil fuel. This winter, for all but 6 weeks, I was running the heat pump day and night. My fuel costs make the heat pump more economical at this time.

I'm in Connecticut. I would never run just an AC.

• tigerdunes
    17 years ago

Ross

A dual fuel system can be a very effective strategy for heating one's home. Here are a few things that you should consider.

1. a complete understanding of nat gas rates and electric rates
    2. your area's winter climate
    3. your home's insulation qualities
    4.a look into the future as far as whether electric rates are expected to be more stable than gas rates.

In general, I have found that an electric rate of less than $0.11/KWh can make a high eff heat pump very compelling. I am attaching a fuel comparison calculator.
    Keep in mind that a heat pump performs double duty both in heating and cooling so its life may be marginally less on a dual fuel system depending on a good maintenance program.

Today's heat pumps are much better as far as comfort than those 10 yrs+ ago.

Good luck with your project and decision.

IMO

Here is a link that might be useful: Fuel Comparison Calculator

• blacknumber1
    17 years ago

Yes, the dual fuel system can save you a lot of money during milder weather, you're furnace may hardly run at all in the spring and fall. I would love to have one in my home but can't afford one right now. I would even put this system in on an older furnace, depending on what kind of shape it was in. This kind of system would make the payback on a new furnace a lot longer.

• bobhvac
    17 years ago

But seriously, I'm amazed to read these posts here and elsewhere - I'm in Minnesota with 6500 hrs heating and it's a stretch to justify (from return on investment) some of these high efficiency furnaces. I don't know what Utah has for heating hours but it can't be more than Minnesota. A heat pump should be able to do a majority of your annual heat load - and then if you bought a much lower priced 80% AFUE furnace to do your back up heating (for a minimal amount of annual hours) you'd be $ ahead overall. The following link may be useful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Comparing Annual Heating Costs