SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katclaws_mo

Have You Ever Had to Decide Between Your Job or Your Sanity?

katclaws_mo
14 years ago

DH is going thru a really rough patch right now. He's always been a concientious, hard worker. Works late, goes in early, works weekends, never takes off, will work even when he's been sick. Always on the phone taking calls, conference calls or working on his computer. Traveling on his own time. I can barely remember a vacation when he didn't have to get onto a conferense call or have to do some work. Never uses up his vacation time. He's been named a star-performer a couple of times in the past. He really has a very strong work ethic is well-liked & respected by his co-worker & even his boss.

But right now, it's like they (corporate) are trying to break him. Trying to force his hand to quit. They keep piling on more & more work. They've cut their resources (out-sourced to another country) and they don't refill the positions, but expect the workers to pick up the slack. He is feeling so demoralized & overwhelmed. He's doing what he always did, but know it doesn't seem to be enough. I know he would like to just quit--which has NEVER been in his vocabulary before. I tell him, let them do the firing! He says they won't do it, but just keep making it so miserable for him, he is getting sick over it all. They won't "pull the trigger, but they expect him to do it" I feel like why should he just walk away with nothing to show after 27+ years. If he were able to get at least some severance & buy some time, he might actually have the time to update his resume. I know how hard jobs are to come by these days, but when do you know you need to make a change? Believe me, we've been truly grateful that he even has a job, but it has become an emotional hell.

We are NOT financially stable, so of course, that is a big worry and he carries the health insurance. I was working part-time seasonal hours, but they have cut me drastically so I am looking again.

But I am more afraid of his health & well-being right now. Would you continue to bite the bullet or would you walk under these circumstances? I know they say the time to look for a job is when you have one, but he doesn't even have time to do that. He just left 8 hours ago, driving to another state & I am so worried about his state of mind. Before he left I just told him to put it all in God's hands, because His plan is alway better than anthing we could figure out. Anyone else going thru or have gone thru something like this? I am beside myself with worry about the future, but I am trying to have Faith. TIA

Comments (18)