SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tim52317

Add on wood stove to hot water system.

tim52317
15 years ago

Hi,

I have a hot water heating system in my home. The pervious owner, my father-in-law, added a wood stove to the set up. The stove is basically a wood fueled boiler where the water is fed into a jacket around the firebox the out the other side. A Teewas put in on the radiator supply line with a shut off in the center to push the water through the wood stove. There was an auxiliary switch on the pump so that it could be manually turned on the push the water through the system. I tried this once, just after we moved in and did not think it did any good. However I did use some very poor wood for the fire. It was some old stuff left in the basement for quite some time. It seems to me it should work well.

I changed boilers, due to a leak and now do not have the ability to manually turn on the pump. Do I need to put an additional pump on to make this work at all? Or will it simply turn the pump on when the thermostat call for heat and just reduce the heating of the water by the gas boiler.

The new boiler is Weil- McLain CG -5 ÂSPDN-series 11, and I think it contains around 2.5 gallons of water. The old one was made by Traid Products and heated the contents of the tank, about 35 gallons then the pump turned on.

What do I need to do to make it work for me?

Thanks

Comments (9)