SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fixizin

do baseboard hot water systems run anti-freeze?

fixizin
15 years ago

Laugh now, get it out of the way, lol...

Howdy... ig-nernt Florida boy needs to come up to speed on gas-fired electric-pumped hot water heating system in multi-story PA home. Won't have my eyeballs on it for another week, but looking it over last year, the major functions all seemed obvious, i.e. the room thermostat triggers the pump relay, which brings cooler water into boiler/furnace, causing its t-stat to turn up the big flames, which heats the water, round and round, E-I-E-I-O...

Anyway, all potable water plumbing in house is copper, but all the heating piping looks to be iron (painted over galvanized, I assume)... is this typical? Is there a reason? What is the life of galvanized in this application, assuming very soft municipal water?

I seem to remember one point where the two systems met, it appeared to be a means for introducing more water into the heating loop... don't remember if there was any sort of check valve or backflow preventer... should there be?

And lastly, should there be some kind of ANTI-FREEZE or anti-corrosive in the heating water, or just straight tap H2O?

Thanks in advance...

Comments (10)