SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
niroha

flooring suggestions for dogs

niroha
10 years ago

My request for suggestions is a little unusual because I don't care about the floor getting scratched up. I care more about the dogs getting reasonable grip as they walk, run, play, and jump onto furniture - yup I am one of THOSE dog owners :-)

A little back ground - we just moved out of a house that had the original (109 year old) fir floors which are very soft. The dogs, furniture, and anything else pointy left their marks. More importantly, it didn't bother me. It was lived in and it added character. The dogs slid minimally when running on the exposed wood.

We bought a new home and laminate floors was pushed heavily at us because of the dogs. We installed it in the family room and we hate it. Sure, the dogs don't scratch it but they can't get traction to save their life. We have put down area rugs but I don't want them to feel comfortable only on the rugs. Eventually I'd like to replace the flooring in the entire house and i want it to be something my dogs can live with, too. One of my pups is fearful of walking on any of this slippery laminate. That's not how I want this house hold to run!

So what wood type flooring is out there that is my version of dog friendly? Obviously I can go with fir and let them beat it up. Maybe I should just look at all the soft woods? Bamboo seems to be pretty slippery. I love the look of reclaimed distressed wood floors - but I don't want it if it's slicker than snot. Does the finish matter?

Comments (11)