SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tyjy_gw

Mirage ~ Engineered vs. Lock ?

tyjy
13 years ago

Hi guys! You all are SO knowledgable, I decided instead of going crazy on my own I'd at least try to get some clarity by asking my question on this forum...(so THANKS in advance!)

Been looking for a grayish colored floor (tile or wood) for kitchen/dining/foyer for quite awhile and finally zeroed in on Mirage after seeing an "engineered" style, Maple, 3 5/16" wide, semi-gloss, Charcoal color, at a builders' model home. Reeaally pretty! (I'm debating between the 3 5/16" and the 5" available).

Went to the flooring store for a quote and was shown a teeny-tiny sample of the Mirage LOCK style that comes in 4 5/16" wide (vs. engineered) and was being steered towards that as it's "floating" and wouldn't require a whole new subfloor installation like we'd need for the engineered style (we currently have a particle board subfloor, the engineered needs something stronger). My husband, who is very handy and could definitely install the Lock, likes this Lock idea better. We may or may not try installing the engineered ourselves. If not, we were quoted $1,900 installation for engineered!

QUESTION: Does anybody know if the MIRAGE LOCK style is indeed the "same exact look" as the MIRAGE ENGINEERED?? The salesperson told us it does look the same and that the only difference between the two is underneath: the Lock has a "high density fiber core" (thus, thinner) and the Engineered has a "hardwood plywood base".

Because I didn't see a larger sample of the Lock (or in my color) I can't be sure it is for sure the same look (color, sheen, micro-v-joint, etc.) as the engineered. (I've had some "laminate" samples at home from other stores and they just didn't even come CLOSE to the Mirage Engineered sample as far as quality, beauty, etc.) I did compare a teeny Lock sample in a different color to a larger Engineered sample at the store and it DID look the same. This is a $6,000 to $9,000 project so it's important I'm right on this : / It's unnerving.

Lastly, Any opinions about "cashmere" (matte) or semi-gloss? I'm torn between the two looks...leaning towards cashmere because I've read it doesn't show marks as easy.

Thank you SO much for any feedback!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida