SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
teresava

In a funk!

teresava
11 years ago

Have been feeling so blah lately. The main cause is my weight. About 2 years ago I joined Weight Watchers and lost 45 lbs. I was so happy. I didn't reach my goal weight, but obviously made huge progress. Then I kind of lost motivation, and fast forward a year and I was slowly putting it back on. Now 2 years later and I have gained back 20 lbs or so, and I am feeling very defeated :(

I have always gone to the gym and lately I exercise at least an hour nearly every day. I mix it up with running, walking, Zumba, or weight-lifting, but it doesn't seem to matter. I ran a half marathon in March, but you'd never know it to look at me. In my case it feels like it's 10% exercise and 90% eating. I know exercise is good, but I feel like I'm working my butt off with no results. I honestly try to eat healthy each day but feel like I can't and give in to junk. I can't live on fish and brocolli the rest of my life and so the scale creeps up.

Now the number on the scale isn't that important to me, but I am sick of how my clothes look and fit. And sick of being tired and worrying about it. Most of all I want to be healthy. I don't have to be a size 2. I have 2 daughters that I want to set a good example for. I want them to remember me as an active mom and not one that sat on the couch all the time etc.

I feel like I am on the border of fighting or just saying screw it and giving up! Thanks for listening to my rant. My DH is one of those skinny minnies so I honestly don't think he understands.

How do you curb your cravings and/or fight temptation??

Comments (19)

• jemdandy
    11 years ago

Weight gain is a battle with us all as we age. You lost 45 lb and regained 20 on the rebound. That's still a 25 lb loss which is better than most. It certainly is better than my record! Twenty years ago, I was at my peak weight and now am down by 35 lbs, but it has taken me 20 yrs to do it. Unfortunately, part of my loss is due to the natural process of old age where part of the loss is muscle - Bah.

Don't be too hard on yourself. If you could run a half marathon, you can't be in bad shape. In fact, you have to have been better than the average US citizen. You did not mention your weight and height, therefore we can not judge very well, but this is a very private matter and it should remain hidden if that is what you prefer. It seems as though you are getting enough exercise. You probably are working your butt off to burn that junk food calories.

If you can somehow gain an improved view of yourself, the desire for comfort food might diminish. Discuss the problem with your doctor. He may suggest some tests to insure that you do not have any deficenies. One missing element may be the lack of sunshine.

• juellie1962
    11 years ago

I agree with Jemdandy! You ran a 1/2 marathon! That is incredible! Also agree with his suggestin to get a simple blood test. You could be low on anything; at this time of year vitamin D is especially important for amoung other things, your sense of well being and mood.
    Have you thought about rejoining weight watchers? Maybe the weekly accountability could get you back on track?

I am impressed that you kept 25 lbs off. I've got about 40 to lose and in two weeks I "only" lost 3.4 But hey, it's better than gaining, right? :) Keep your chin up and don't stop fighting! Even if your outwards appearance isn't as good as you'd like, your innards are thanking you! :)

• Related Discussions

How I Overcame my Gardening Funk

Q

Comments (24)
    My SdlMs all got a bad Mildew attack after the hot wind as well. Some of the roses I bought that were 3 years old and grown from "virus free" bands showed RMV on leaves that formed during that horrible heat. I felt so let down. I would have kept my old plants instead but I wanted virus free copies. I wish they would send the roses out to hot areas to check them before claiming they are RMV free. Now the new leaves and flowers are free of the mildew but the old leaves show the scars of the mildew attack they went through. I am finally getting some pretty SdlM flowers again. The DA row that got hit by the neighbors roundup spray is slowly coming back. For a time I considered removing them all, I was so discouraged. It was hard to see spring come and watch them cling to life instead of grow and bloom as they usually do. The garden has always been both a comfort and a great challenge. But when I have had hardship and sadness, I always found myself there. I'm thinking of you and sending love for your brother. I hope the changes you made in the garden will give you a beautiful late spring-early summer and beauty in the years to come.
    ...See More

Sweaty gym clothes - how to get out the funk?

Q

Comments (27)
    Hahaha...well Larsi, I have some elderly folks in my family that have that brown bottle in their bathroom still and it always reeks of the stuff in there, I never gave it any thought until I read the douche story, so now I wonder, lol, but surely not, but I will ask my old aunt she will tell me lol. Back in the early 1900's they made a special soap for that purpose, lmao, I happen to have a box..lmao
    ...See More

Champagne Mango breaks out of its funk.

Q

Comments (1)
    One more pic ..lol.
    ...See More

How do you get out of a funk?

Q

Comments (28)
    My son was going through a funk a few weeks ago. He's prone to depression, so we go over the basics: eating right, getting enough sleep and exercise. He is diligent about all of these. We also talked about the need to be social and engage with others. Then I told him, "You're OK. There's nothing wrong with you, you know. It's OK to be sad sometimes." I think we're so pro-happiness that we forget that sadness and melancholy are part of our emotional spectrum as humans, too. We panic and want to get rid of it right away, but, for me, that just gives it more fuel. Sometimes, when I treat my funk as "Meh... it happens. I'll get over it" I kinda take away its power. Of course, long, deep periods of this warrant more intervention. I'm not dismissing depression. But I have found for my son and me, that the ACT-type of acceptance therapy is very helpful.
    ...See More
  • arkansas girl
    11 years ago

Have you had your thyroid levels tested? It could be that. It could also be that what you think is healthy is not really all that healthy with hidden sugars and too many carbs. I know that WW tells you that nothing is off limits but for some, you have to be more careful than others about the amount of carbs you consume. Don't get too hung up on low fat stuff because often times the low fat variety is loaded with a bunch of unhealthy other stuff. Try to stick with real foods and try to avoid stuff like bread and pasta.

• kayjones
    11 years ago

Two questions to ask yourself:

What am I eating? Write down everything you put in your mouth.

What can I substitute and eat without gaining? Do a google search for foods that taste good and aren't calorie-laden.

It sounds as if you need to visit your doctor and get your hormones in balance.

Then, visit a nutritionist and get a list of good finger foods that you can keep handy to munch on.

People tend to eat when they are depressed, bored or overwhelmed. Write down those things that are eating you and look for ways to overcome them. Keeping your body and mind active is key to weight loss. Find something to do that makes you feel needed and busy - you will lose weight.

I've been in your shoes. I always worked very active jobs, raised a family and had dogs to walk. I finally went to WW and lost a lot of weight.

I am now retired and spend my time tending a huge yard, big house, a son and grandson and have 2 dogs to walk 3x a day - I don't have time to sit around and eat!

• Sally Brownlee
    11 years ago

I am another one to suggest you spend a few weeks counting your calories.
    Google Harris Benedict equation to get your recommended calories for your activity level.
    I use fitness pal app to track.
    I suspect you are not eating enough or often enough
    The best way I heard this explained was to think of your body as a campfire. Wood is the food.
    When you start a fire it is nice and hot with a nice supply of fuel. If you let it go too long it starts to cool. It is much harder to bring a fire back to temperature than if you had just kept it fueled. Your body operates in the same fashion. Keep it fueled and it will keep burning.
    Also if you don't already, consider adding some weights to you workouts. Muscles continue to burn fat long after the workout is over.
    I have lost 25 pounds since August. I find I lose the most when I eat regularly and often ...and of course get my water.
    Try to eat the calories that are recommended. Dont go under too far. If you attempt to eat healthy foods to get those calories instead of junk, you will be amazed at how full you are.
    Good luck!

• marry
    11 years ago

The main way to avoid eating junk is to not put
    in the grocery cart...If you are the one doing
    the shopping don't put it in the cart. It's much
    easier to avoid in the store than it is in the
    kitchen.

• OklaMoni
    11 years ago

I can't really help.... as I only go 2 to 4 pounds up and down. I handle my cravings the easy way.

No junk food in the house, thus, none to eat. Years ago I cut out sodas and fried food.

So far so good... but the ladies at work make it hard. There are a mega amount of donuts at least once a week... and both are already so HUGE..... however, I have managed to not even have one yet.

I just have to tell myself, I don't want to be their size. Yeah, not the nicest thing to think... but it works for me.

Please, don't give up on the exercise... just try to figure out how to curb your cravings... and a unhealthy day once a week or less isn't the end of the world either. Just don't let the bad stuff cross your lips more than that.

Moni

• chloecat
    11 years ago

Agree with the "write down everything you eat" group.

Also, yes, you CAN eat "only fish and broccoli" - it's what you have to do if you want to lose weight. Well, maybe not "fish and broccoli" only, but it's a LIFESTYLE change, not a "what you eat" change. If you want chocolate cake, eat ONE BITE and throw the rest in the garbage can. Eat mostly healthy foods and yes, exercise. Don't deprive yourself, but realize you just CAN'T eat as much as you want of everything you want.

As for "wasting food" by throwing it away - consider how much you'd happily pay to be slim and healthy. Worth a lot more than a $2 piece of cake.

Also, don't buy junk. No junk in the house means you won't eat it.

• paula_pa
    11 years ago

I was a lot like you but last year I lost 25 the first half of the year and have kept it off without a lot of fuss when usually I would have gained it right back. What did I change?

I GAVE UP THE GYM!

Yes, that's right. I belonged to a gym my entire adult life, worked out right up until the day I gave birth with both my boys. Cardio, weights, classes - I did it all. I had some surgery at the end of June which required me to take a couple of weeks off of the gym and I've only been back a few times since then.

I'm a stress eater and it turns out that I feel less stressed now that I'm not constantly thinking about how I'm going to fit into my workouts. My appetite is easier to control without the intensive workouts. I once worked with a female (natural) body builder who always said it was almost all diet, not exercise that counted and she was right. Also, I get more sleep since I'm not getting up early to workout or going to the gym late. There is so much more energy in everything else that I do now that all my energy isn't being spent at the gym. I am a naturally low energy person and I was wasting all my energy at the gym.

Of course I'm not eating whatever I want. I eat mainly fruits, vegetables and high fiber carbs, very little meat and cheese compared to what I used to eat. I eat the bad stuff but in limited amounts. I also eat dinner later. The boys need to eat soon after we get home. I would eat with them and then I'd end up eating something before bed. Now I feed them and don't eat dinner until about 8pm which had eliminated one of my problem areas - night snacking.

I do want to fit some exercise back into my routine but it's my mind telling me that, not my body. I feel better than ever.

• YogaLady1948
    11 years ago

I have done WW's 3-5x's. I gave it up, I felt like a gambler~~~I can have this but not that~~if I cheat today I can make it up tomorrow~~~then I got stressed with it and always gained my weight back plus some. I really wish I weighed what I did the first time I walked in their doors 28 years ago and thought I was heavy LOL!!!

I have lost 12 lbs in the last 5 months just giving up sugar. I am seeing an Ayruvedic counselor and slowly changing my whole lifestyle.

The main thing I have learned is~~mindful eating~~ to me that means staying in the present moment and not just wandering into the kitchen and munching away, I used to do that all the time. Stop and ask yourself are you really hungry? Also I like myself. Do not beat yourself up as one poster put it you have not gained all your weight back that is wonderful. And maybe you are just meant to weigh this amount~~~I think about that alot. I am never going to weigh what I did as a young person ever! It seems no matter how much I loose, I still wear the same size pants! Smaller shirts, same size pants~~~that used to make me nuts, now I do not care~~~I did not go into my new lifestyle to loose weight, it was just an extra good thing.

What I learn in my sessions with this gal is love yourself and do what is comfortable and good for you. Do not beat yourself up, practice mindful eating and do a food diary~~she had me write in a diary what time I ate and how I was feeling happy, hungry, stressed or bored. Whatever you feel it can help you figure out why and when you over eat the most.

• marie_ndcal
    11 years ago

Here the YMCA has some great programs that include all ages and they seem to have real positive instructors. Do you have some friends you could meet once a month and just have fun times--different lunches, go someplace like a field trip, to a mall, outside to a park, or anywhere else?Could be just 3 or 4 people or? too large of a group could defeat the purpose. You could discuss books, or? just keep it upbeat and non personal.

• linda_in_iowa
    11 years ago

Go back to WW and keep going there, even after you reach your goal. My closest friend lost 60 pounds last year and regained 20. She is back at WW.

• teresava
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for your responses. I am feeling a little better today. I think I needed to get that off my chest.

Yes, I need to get myself back to WW. I will be embarassed at the weight gain, but the ladies there are genuinely nice and not there to judge. But it was always motivating at least for the day. Sometimes I learned a new trick for a healthy snack. I mostly know what I need to do, it's just tough to choose salad over a cheeseburger!

For the most part my meals are healthy, but the portions have gotten too large. The mid-day snacking gets me. I absolutely am an emotional eater. I eat when I am bored, tired, happy, lonely etc. I swear I need a therapist more then a nutritionist. I also need to cut down on the "white" carbs too. The water and getting more sleep will always help too. I gave up cross-stitch when my kids were babies as I was always worried they'd get ahold of the needles, but maybe I need to pick it back up. You can't eat when your hands are busy doing that.

So as much as I'd like to lose 50 lbs tomorrow it's not going to happen. I have to keep trudging along each day. I know the exercise is benefitting me, my body, my heart, etc. I've got to just try my best each day. That's all I can do!

• YogaLady1948
    11 years ago

Terasava, I also go to life coaching which is like therapy, I know that is one reason why it has been easier for me to give up sugar~~~cleaning out some old garbage out of my mind and spirit has helped a lot. BUT tonight I was telling my DH I am thinking about eating chocolate a lot lately! DANG!!!I ate a few bites of dessert here and there over the holidays~~I was really afraid it would make me binge~~~but I am proud to say I did not. But right now a nice frozen candybar would taste so good;(

• sleeperblues
    11 years ago

The key is portion control, not massive amounts of exercise. I agree with those who say write down every bite you eat. Picking and snacking without realizing you are doing it can add up to huge calorie indulgences. I write everything down I eat. I am also an exercise fanatic (Saturday I burned off 1100 calories by walking, 2 dvds, and treadmill while watching the ipad) but I did that because I had the time and energy. I can't keep that up every day. My daily goal is to burn 500 cals through exercise, and control my diet to about 1700 cals. You can eat a lot of food for 1700 cals, or you can eat a miniscule amount. It just depends on what you choose--processed crap or fresh fruits/veggies and lean protein.

I can't stress how important writing down every bite you take is. Be honest with yourself, and get a good calorie counter. There are a multitude on line. I like the my fitness pal app, but weight watchers has a similar app. Once you experience some success you will get out of your funk. We sound a lot alike in that aspect. I know you can do it.

You might also want to check out Sparkpeople.com. It's free.

• kacram
    11 years ago

yep. I was going to say portion size! Just try every
    day. I know the WW meetings really help me. With all
    the chemo and radiation, I had gained back 85 of
    the 125 I had lost and I really had no clothes to wear!
    lol I had to wait over a year before I could get back
    to WW and to even try to lose, the docs didn't want me
    to! lol So, I joined again, and am down 25. Weights
    also make the weight loss a little slower, but it is
    so good for you to use weights. It does change your
    body shape. Try different exercises too. Drop something
    for a while and try yoga, tai chi or pilates. Then pick
    up running again for a while, use free weights over
    the machines. You CAN do it. For a lot of us, (NOT
    my husband) it takes conscious thought. I eat because...
    you name it! lol happy, sad, stressed, just because
    it's there! lol Also, if you have a trigger, like
    chocolate, do NOT have it in the house. If you want some
    buy ONE piece! If it's chips, do NOT bring them in the
    house. If your hubby wants them, then HE can buy it
    and put it up HIGH on the shelf! lol And really, your
    kids don't need them. And you can eat more than fish
    and broccoli. I have pizza, meatloaf, beef, tacos,
    chicken, etc. It is about portion size for the most
    part. Well, and the way somethings are cooked.

good luck, Just start each day with a goal. Every day
    is different. You don't have to kill yourself with
    exercise.

• patti43
    11 years ago

Another tip which I use daily, is to use a smaller plate. We have all white Corelle and plates in 10" and 8". We always use the 8" for dinner unless we have company. Our plates look so full that sometimes we can't eat it all (mind over matter, I guess). Whatever, it sure worked for Harry. He's under the 200 pound mark now for the first time in years. Since they look exactly like our big plates he didn't even know I was doing it until after he'd lost quite a few pounds and I told him.

• joyfulguy
    11 years ago

It sounds as though you've been getting quite a lot of exercise, apart from the half marathon.

Weight loss for most folks is something of a roller coaster - one goes down for a while, then up for a while, but many who are familiar with it say that it is a difficult task.

I agree that you not beat yourself up over it. Give it a shrug of your shoulders at times ... but persist. After all - it's your body, and it's valuable. Many claim that it's the temple of God.

When you attain age 80 plus and are in good health - then you'll say a prayer of thanks to yourself for your wisdom in earlier years.

I had a bit of a question while reading your message whether you may be having a period of feeling low self-esteem.

Look yourself in the mirror, give yourself a smile and a wink ... and tell yourself that you're O.K.!

Of course, it's a good idea every now and again to check yourself out honestly, to ensure that you stay that way.

When you feel like a snack ... a small carrot stick ... or a piece of celery can fill the bill ... the mouth ... the gut.

(If you feel that you need a second - grab a toothpick and chew on that!

Good wishes for success as you proceed. A number of folks here will cheer you along the road of life.

ole joyful

• jemdandy
    11 years ago

A tip to combat the evening nibbles.

A lot of dieters make a train wreck out of their efforts in the evening. Its very hard to resist those evening nibbles!

Here's one thing you can try: Clean your teeth. Huh?

Right after the evening meal, do a thorough teeth cleaning including flossing. Notice how nice and clean your mouth feels. Think about keeping it that way to bedtime. Who wants to mess up a good cleaning job right away. I find that can lend a little push to prevent snacking. It isn't a complete solution; its an aid, but as you know, we need all the help we can get.

I wish you luck, and hey, your smile looks great with clean teeth.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH