SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunnycottage_gw

Need advice: Overcoming a fear/phobia

SunnyCottage
11 years ago

Has anyone here successfully conquered a fear/phobia, and if so, how?

I have a lifelong phobia of underwater life - fish, to be more specific. It stems from a couple of rather unpleasant close encounters when I was a child, and has prevented me from participating in fun activities that "normal" people do in the course of a lifetime - swimming or snorkeling in crystal clear ocean waters, for example.

As I approach my 50th birthday, I really want to overcome my unfounded fear. DH and I took a "Discover Scuba" class recently, and I thoroughly enjoyed the freedom of being able to breathe underwater. We have thus signed up for the course that will provide the certification required to dive. Of course, the Discover class was only to provide a feel for the gear and the act of underwater breathing, and it was held in a saltwater swimming pool. No fish there. I've been looking at photos from the dive park where we'll be required to perform two dives, and must admit that I'm feeling squeamish looking at pictures of divers surrounded by fish.

To complicate matters, not only am I phobic about fish, but I'm also fascinated by underwater life. The sea itself mesmerizes me, and on our trips I find myself just staring out at it, wondering about all the amazing things that lie beneath the surface. I guess you could say I'm simultaneously drawn to sea life ... and repelled by it.

I so want to overcome my phobia, but I don't quite know how to do so. Can anyone share advice from your own experience?

Comments (23)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH