SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elba10

Kid friendly, vegetarian appetizers with restrictions

elba1
12 years ago

Hi folks, in a couple weeks I will be hosting two other families for a Bunco night (there will be 13 of us with the kids ranging in age from 4th grade through 10th grade). There will be several appetizers on each of 3 tables that will be dinner. The family of 5 is vegetarian. My son is allergic to all nuts (tree nuts & peanuts). Peanuts being in the legume family, he is also allergic to all beans (except green beans & wax beans). He is also allergic to soy, shellfish & can only have eggs in small quantities (e.g. in cookies, but not quiche). Hence his main source of protein is meat (& sunflower seed butter). Thought I'd try to come up with a selection just for this meal that meets the above criteria & this is what I came up with so far:

Table 1 - raw veggies & spinach dip, fried calamari (I know these vegetarians eat fish), popcorn

Table 2 - potato skins, spinach balls (has stuffing mix), grapes

Table 3 - veggie taco pizza, tortilla chips with mango salsa, pizza bagels

My thinking was I wanted at least 1 hot thing at each table, also something just to "munch" on (popcorn, grapes, chips) & appealing enough to both kids & adults overall (my daughter isn't a big fan of veggies, so I was trying to make sure there were a couple things at each table she & any "finicky" kids would eat - she will dip celery sticks in the spinach dip & likes potatoes).

With the restrictions listed, do you have any better ideas? Especially table 3 might be too "cheesy" (the veggie taco pizza is with a crescent roll crust spread with a cream cheese sour cream mixture topped with raw/blanched veggies served cold).

Also, if I do make potato skins, can they be made ahead & frozen or do you not recommend it? (I bet there are some frozen ones in the grocery store, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea). I can make some things, but I'd also like some of them to be easy, as I'll be planning dessert too (thinking chocolate fondue & homemade caramel dip with cherry biscotti & brownies that I'll make, along with marshmallows, strawberries, bananas, and if my son has time to make the mini breztel rolls - but maybe that's too much "bread" after the appetizers?) Thanks so much for any feedback!

Comments (41)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022