SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisaluvstocook

Taking Light Hardwoods Dark....Bad Refinishing Job?

lisaluvstocook
10 years ago

Good evening all,

This is my first post, and I am happy to finally be a homeowner and have something to post about! I just finished week 8 of a "2 week" reno, ha. So I am sure that you know where my mental status is at this point.

I have a question regarding the refinishing of my floors. I am a fan of dark wood, always have been. I chose Bistro Walnut, I can't remember the brand. I actually love the depth of the color, but to me it almost looks like the floor is painted now? I completely expected a very dark color, but I also expected to see the wood grain as well. You can still see the grain, but really only as a texture per se, but not visual characteristics of the grain itself. I hope that makes sense. I am wondering if the contractor applied the stain too thick. I am attaching a pic of my floors before they were finished, and after. Not sure how to post multiple pics in a post, so I will reply to this initial one with a few after pictures.

I have obvious areas of dust in the poly, and there are areas that are splotchy, and that's being generous. As you can see from the full room shot, they stopped in the middle of the 2nd coat of poly, and now I am worried that there will be an obvious delineation when they start the 2nd coat.

Help me out here! Am I freaking needlessly? This reno has been a series of one cluster after another, so I am not sure if the job is actually bad, or if I am just exhibiting symptoms of my reno PTSD at this point. Any feedback or guidance is appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Comments (5)