SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bayareafrancy

Please advise re: shoddy quality of my hardwood refinishing job

bayareafrancy
18 years ago

i hope someone here can advise me on this.

we recently had the floors refinished in our home (70 year old home; beautiful matchstick oak floors which had never been refinished before).

because we wanted the floors to receive the best care, we paid more for a very highly recommended refinishing company. however, we are unhappy (and quite surprised) with the results.

did we expect too much? are the flaws within the norm for any refinishing job? i need to contact the company (we haven't paid them yet). here are our complaints:

1. debris polyurethaned to the floor (2 big long, wavy hairs on the kitchen floor, and one tiny--but thick and hard--lump of "something" on the bedroom floor.

2. small pools of polyurethane in some corner/edge areas. pools are sometimes smooth--but dark in color. or are crackly/lumpy.

3. polyurethane splatters ALL over the painted baseboards throughout the house, dripping down stairway baseboards, and even a few feet up the painted walls in the house.

4. nail heads without putty. the nails are flush with the floor (thus smooth), but silver in color. approximately 4-8 "exposed" nail heads per room.

5. much of the floor is very slightly gritty, as if the polyurethane was put over a fine coat of dust. or, this grit may actually be teeny bubbles. i can't tell. it is fairly smooth (wouldn't snag your socks or anything), but visibly irksome.

6. swirl marks in rooms. argh! i never expected this from a high end company!

7. the area around the newels/banisters is very badly gouged.

[8. not sure about this one: the floors were done 2 months ago. the putty is already coming out between the boards in the kitchen, which are douglas fir. i know this is normal for fir, but i thought it was normal after a few years. not a couple months.]

ok--i think that's it. what is considered a reasonable "margin of error."? which items are not acceptable?

we are so very sad about this. this was one of the biggest expenses of our "new" home, and we just never expected this kind of result from such a well regarded company. (or are we unreasonable??)

thanks so much for your advice!

francy

Comments (13)