SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
birkie_2006

What is Moore's Antique Oil? (long)

birkie_2006
16 years ago

About 8 years ago I pulled up the carpet in my 90-year old house. I had more time than money, and the local flooring shop told me to clean the old maple floor with:

½ bucket of warm water

1 cup mineral spirits (turpentine)

½ cup Murphy Oil Soap

½ cup denatured alcohol

Work small area at a time. Scrub lightly with #000 steel wool. Wipe of residue with clean cloth in alcohol only.

After 24 hours, apply 2 light coats of MooreÂs "Antique Oil" with a soft cloth.

=======================

I really liked the low lustre finish and it doesn't look plastic at all. But it was a ton of handwork.

Now I have uncovered the same maple flooring in the adjoining kitchen and wonder if I should do the same treatment? What is Antique Oil? The spec sheet says it is a alkyd and the "vehicle type" is castor-rosin ester. Can I use the sander this time (now that I have some experience)? I would like to re-do the living room and the kitchen at the same time. Will this finish limit me in the future from using any other finishes? Is it durable for a kitchen?

I remember the shop telling me that any worn spots could just be cleaned and re-oiled.

I am interested in learning what category this product is in. Is it similar to tung oil, or is it a poly, or some hybrid?

Thoughts? Advise?

Thanks.

Comment (1)