SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vanislegirl09

Glued down Jatoba engineered flooring buckling

vanislegirl09
14 years ago

Hi,

HELP!!! We have had a very dry summer in Victoria and this weekend it decided to pour cats and dogs. I have discovered that my glued down engineered floor has buckled in only one spot. About 4 3 3/4" planks wide by 5 feet long. It feels like a trampoline. It is by Golden Elite and website http://www.goldenelitewoodfloors.com

The floor was laid last summer throughout the whole first floor. It is on a 30 year old unsealed slab, above grade poured on solid rock. No moisture problems with the concrete. No leaks from the hot water tank or plumbing. I did have a Valor propane fireplace installed last week and have been running it in the evenings. There was only baseboard heat last winter.

My thermometer gives between 58 and 62% RH depending on where you place it.

So I can start with the installation. . .the guy is gone and he should be glad I can't find him. He wouldn't use the recommended adhesive (Bostik) and use LePages polyurethane in the tube because it was easier to apply and I must admit that I erred in trusting him when he said it was just as good as the Bostik product. Obviously it isn't.

The expansion gaps look ok, not huge but they are there and the rest of the floor is OK I have gone around and undercut the sheet rock to make sure there is a gap so the floor can expand. The heaters and dehumidifier are on right now and will remain so for the fall and winter.

So, will it settle back down? I realize I am probably going to have to have someone in to re-glue the boards or use that repair kit I have seen talked about on this forum but will they have to be taken out and replaced?

How long might it take to get them back down flat again? Is there any way I can speed up the settling?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. I feel so dumb.

Thanks

VanIsleGirl

Comments (11)