SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ncamy_gw

advice on hvac for construction in asheville, nc

ncamy
16 years ago

We will be building in Asheville, NC. The house will be approximately 2500, 1.5 stories with living downstairs and guest quarters upstairs. Many of the builders we talked to during the interview process talked about dual fuel systems. Only once in my life did I have a heat pump and I hated it. I felt like all it did was blow out cold air. For the last 20 years all we've had was gas. We do however, typically keep our house fairly cool...around 65 in the winter and 70 (or lower) in the summer. What do you suggest?

On another post about dual fuel systems, the responder said they can't give fair advice unless they had the rates so here goes to the best of my ability. (I have no idea what all this means.) Gas rates: $10 plus $1.34321 per therm for Nov. 1- Apr. 30; $10 plus $1.29486 per therm May 1- Oct. 31. Electric rates $6.75 plus 9.678 cents per kWh for July-Oct; $6.75 plus 8.678 cents per kWh for Nov-June.

Anything else we should consider? We haven't made any decisions about insulation or whether we're going to frame with 2x4s or 2x6s.

Comments (18)