SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
msmagoo

Looking for a new job-Tips, please

msmagoo
17 years ago

After a couple of years of being unhappy at my job, I've decided to try to find something else. The thing is I've been at my current job for almost 20 yrs, have been promoted over the years and have been mostly satisfied, although the stress level has always been on the high side. New management took over about 6 years ago, slowly it has become extremely high stress, staff cutbacks, moral has deteriorated, it's progressively getting worse. There are 4 employees that are taking early retirement. Although I need to work at this point(kid in college), I've almost quit several times and I feel like I've put my life on hold (want to remodel out 80's house, but don't want to incur any more debt, for fear of "walking out" of my current job). At 43, no degree but tons of experience in business field I hate(& am also scared) to change, but DH says if it's not getting better, it's affecting my family life and health it's time to cut my losses and go for it.

Sorry for the length of this, I guess my question is when interviewing & asked why I am changing at this point, after 20 years, what do I say without being negative about my current employer? Any tips on resume, interviewing will be appreciated.

Also, if anyone else has been through something like this, I hope I don't sound crazy but, this has been a tough decision for me and at times I've really felt "beaten down" because of this situation.

Thanks to everyone.

Comments (11)