SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladyq1

New gardener battling Ivy, tips or suggestions please!!

LadyQ1
19 years ago

Hi,

I live in Central Illinois and have some battle questions for dealing with a yard that has never really been touched by a human (at least not for several years!)

I just recently moved into a house where the yard has been let go for YEARS. There are weeds that have couple inch thick stems and grow several feet taller than I am! That area will probably be rotatilled up and replanted (although advice for dealing with those would not be unwelcome...I plan to turn that area into a garden, flowers and herbs, some shurbs, etc). The main plant I'm not sure how to deal with is the english ivy. Its EVERYWHERE! You can see areas they tried to clear long ago for flowers, and it just covers it. It comes up over the sidewalk around the house, up the fences and walls....don't get me wrong, I like ivy, its pretty, but it would be nice to have some of the yard for other things, as well as being able to walk on the sidewalk without tripping over it. I've heard that cutting it just makes it grow more, that its roots are too deep just to rip out, and it laughs at things like roundup. I don't necessarily mind it in areas like the fence in front, or the little side passage to the back by our carport, but how does one force it back from everywhere else? I'm looking for tips to get it back under control, and keep it there. (I will probably have to completely remove some of it too, I'm sure, it has had ample opportunity to spread out.)

So, any tips, hints, suggestions? I'm relatively new at gardening, but already have plans and am looking forward to getting out there this spring and getting my hands dirty...never was able to have a garden before!

Thanks!

LadyQ1

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting