SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sheilabb_gw

I'm confused with all options

sheilabb
11 years ago

Our 20 year old Trane split system 3 ton heat pump now only works with the backup electric strips so time to replace. I've had 3 companies out to give quotes. All quotes include full installation of split 3 ton heat pump and air handler, programmable thermostat, electrical disconnect, new wiring, taxes, moving one return vent and pad using existing vents (are well insulated and in great shape.

We have a 2800 sq ft passive solar home (lots of low-E southern glass and 3" concrete floor under tile)that is well insulated. Home is near Raleigh so we have hot humid summers and mild winters but can occasionally go into low 20s and snow. We both have asthma and I have dry eyes. I want some kind of air filtration and would prefer humidity control (now too much in summer and too little in winter). We are not expecting a lot of savings as we only pay an average of $150/month now, but want something that works well and will be reliable and not cost more to use than we have now.

All quotes include installation of new 3 ton split system heat pump and air handler using existing vents and removable of old, pad, new wiring, new electrical disconnect, permits, 2 first year inspections and taxes with 10 year warranty.

The first company sells Goodman's in Platinum ($11,477), gold ($10,951), and silver ($9791) packages:

Platinum:18 Seer heat pump Model # : SSZ18
Air Handler ASUF3036 variable speed with Flowrator
Honeywell Premium Programmable Thermostat
Best Clean Air Purification Filter System - electrostatic
bacterial growth reducer

Gold: 16 Seer heat pump Model #: SSZ16
Air Handler ASUF3036
Honeywell Deluxe Programmable Thermostat
Best Clean Air Purification System - electrostatic;
Deluxe Programmable Thermostat

Silver: 14 Seer heat pump Model # : SSZ14 (15 SEER with air hander)
Air Handler ASUF3036
Honeywell Deluxe Programmable thermostat
HEPA Bypass Filtration System

The second company had Trane equipment and did not recommend any electrostatic air filtration unit or any humidifier, saying they thought these units were too troublesome or too much potential for mold problems if something went wrong.
Recommended system($8093):
4TZZWR5036, TAM7AOC36, BAYEVACO8, IAQ-8000, OD Sensor

The 3rd company is getting their quote to me tomorrow, but he also did not recommend electrostatic or humidifying options. What do you experts think about the options so far? Are the second two right about not complicating things with the electrostatic filter and a humidifier?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!