SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lazycook_gw

Help! Any simple breakfast ideas?

lazycook
16 years ago

A decision has just been made that I will be having breakfast tomorrow for about 10-12 people. I have trouble getting up in the morning so want to be able to prepare as much as possible the night before. Someone is bringing pastries. I'll plan to cut up some fruit. I think I need some type of breakfast casserole - maybe something with sausage (I like sausage). Maybe I could make a couple different kinds if they're easy to make and not too rich. I don't like too much cream or butter in my food. Any suggestions?

Comments (8)

• lindac
    16 years ago

My favorite not too rich breakfast casserole is "Italian Eggs"
    For 10 to 12 people, I would use 3 dozen eggs, a pound of sharp chedder cheese, grated one onion and one green or red pepper....or half of each.
    Butter a 3 qt casserole,
    Cut up the onion and peppers and sautee in olive oil until they are just beginning to get soft. turn off the stove under the pan.
    Scramble the eggs, a dozen and a half at a time, don't cook too much they shouldn't be too soft, add about 1/2 cup of milk to the eggs as you cook them. Salt and pepper to your taste.
    Put the eggs into the dish, top with 1/2 the veggies and half the cheese.
    Scramble the rest of the eggs and top with the rest of the veggies and the rest of the cheese.
    Cover and refrigerate.
    When morning comes, pop into a 350 oven with foil on top and warm for about 45 minutes, remove the foil and allow the cheese to brown.
    You might use an instant read to be sure the center gets to 150 degrees before serving.
    Get some of those pre cooked sausage links, nuke them or put in a covered dish in the oven with the eggs.
    With the fruit ( and that frozen fruit in a bag is very good...just add a few fresh strawberries and youa re good to go.
    Linda C

• User
    16 years ago

This one of Woodies is very good and covers all the bases, potatoes, eggs and meat!

OVERNIGHT BREAKFAST CASSEROLE

2 lbs. package frozen Hash Brown potatoes, thawed
    1/4-1/2 cup chopped onions
    1 lb. cooked, crumbled sausage (breakfast or Italian style - I use Italian) or cooked bacon or ham
    2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
    8 -10 eggs
    3 cups milk
    S & P to taste

Spray 9 X 13 dish with cooking spray. Mix potatoes and onions, salt and pepper together and place in pan. Then spread sausage on top, then cheese. Beat eggs and milk (S & P) together and pour over other ingredients in pan, cover and set in refrigerator overnight.

Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour at 350*.

• Related Discussions

Plans/IDEAS 4 simple potting table/shed??

Q

Comments (4)
    I used an old kitchen counter unit as my potting "table." I repainted it, retained the butcher block counter and added attractive new hardware. I removed the fawcett and taps, took the door under the sink off and we built a sliding bin to store ProMix in. Now I can pot in the sink and push any remaining soil down the drain hole into the bin. There's lots of work space and lots of storage behind doors for fertilizers, pesticides and pots plus 2 drawers for gloves, seeds, tools etc. The counter was on the smallish size compared to new ones, having come out of a cottage, so it was perfect for my 10x16 GH. Here's a link to a thread with my GH and shed Photos... Here is a link that might be useful: Greenhouse and Garden Shed Photos
    ...See More

any one try a simple ground heat system like I read

Q

Comments (5)
    Sounds similar to SHCS. If you go to John C's website he has a spreadsheet which does much of the calcs for SHCS (BTUs, lengths of pipe, cfm of fans). If you do go with this buried pipe or another SHCS variant, you will probably want to insulate the ground which yo're using as a heat sink for better performance.
    ...See More

need pictures / ideas for breakfast bar lights

Q

Comments (1)
    I'll try... hope these help. Some are images of pennisulas some are images of islands. If there is something you like below, let me know and I will try to find more similar ideas. ~boxer
    ...See More

My backyard needs help. Any ideas on design?

Q

Comments (1)
    Roughly, what is the dollar figure you don't want to exceed and where do you live?
    ...See More
  • kaelkriver
    16 years ago

This is easy, quick and very good.

Egg Scramble

10 Tbsp of butter
    1 ½ cup of chopped onion
    3 cups of chopped ham (could use sausage or bacon)
    6 Tbsp of chopped green pepper
    12 eggs
    2 cups shredded cheese (your choice)
    ¾ cups of ½ and ½
    ¼ tsp salt
    Pepper to taste
    2 Â 12 oz packages of frozen hash browns or 1 large (thawed)
    2 Tbsp of melted butter to put on top
    Cook onion, pepper in butter until soft. Add ham. Beat eggs, cheese, salt, pepper and cream together by spoon. Add onions, green pepper, ham, and hashed browns into the egg mixture. Put into 9 x 13 pan.

Stop  you can leave in the refrigerator overnight.

When ready put in preheated 375-degree oven and bake 30-40 minutes. Stir a couple of times during baking period. DO NOT OVERCOOK. You want it creamy, not dry looking.

Let sit 5 minutes before serving.

• khandi
    16 years ago

Here's one my cousin gave me. She says to use Jimmy Dean sausages for good flavor.

Breakfast Casserole

12 slices white bread, lightly buttered (not whole wheat)
    1 lb hot or medium good quality sausage, crumbled
    4 eggs
    3 cups milk
    8 oz. sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded

Sauté sausage. Drain off the fat. Trim crusts from bread. Put 6 slices of bread in an oblong casserole dish, buttered side up. Sprinkle half of sausage and half of cheese. Top with remaining 6 slices of bread and other half of cheese and sausage.

Mix together eggs and milk in blender. Pour over layers. Press so that bread is completely saturated. Put in refrigerator overnight. Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 45 minutes.

• obxgina
    16 years ago

You can substitute sausage for the ham in this one:

Ham and Tomato Pie

Ingredients
    1 (8-oz.) package diced cooked ham
    1/2 cup sliced green onions (about 4 onions)
    1 (9-inch) frozen unbaked pie shell
    1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
    1 cup (4 oz.) shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
    2 medium plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
    1 large egg
    1/3 cup half-and-half
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    Garnishes: fresh basil sprigs, tomato slices
    Preparation
    1. Sauté ham and green onions in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat 5 minutes or until ham is brown and any liquid evaporates.
    2. Brush bottom of pie shell evenly with mustard; sprinkle with 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese. Spoon ham mixture evenly over cheese, and top with single layer of sliced tomatoes.
    3. Beat egg and half-and-half with a fork until blended; pour over tomatoes. Sprinkle evenly with basil, pepper, and remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
    4. Bake on lowest oven rack at 425° for 20 to 23 minutes or until lightly browned and set. Cool on a wire rack 20 minutes. Cut into wedges to serve; garnish, if desired.
    Yield
    Makes 6 to 8 servings

• sands99
    16 years ago

Food of the lazy and breakfast lovers: [prep 10 minutes max]

Roll out a tube of crescent rolls in the bottom of a 9x13 pinch the perfs spread out to edges. Add 1 box frozen snausages cut lengthwise, throw in 8 oz shredded cheese o' choice, scramble 4-6 eggs in a separate bowl [depending on your egg balance attraction, 4 makes all things equal, 6 makes it an egg dish first] 1/2 c milk, 1/2 tsp kosher salt and 1/4 oregano and pepper as you like - pour egg mixture over crescent sausage [or ham or bacon]cheese mix and bake at 375 20-35 minutes till golden brown and bubbly.

Bacon and cheddar
    Ham and swiss
    Sausage and provolone.

You can do the crescent meat and cheese ahead and make the egg mix ahead too, pour and bake that morning voila. add some fruit and good coffee and you're a hero. Lazy but a hero.

• doucanoe
    16 years ago

I am guessing I am a little late, but here are two more really good ones. No sausage, but fabulous just the same.

Potato Florentine Strata

1 (26 ounce) package frozen country style hash browns, thawed
    1 medium onion, minced, (1 cup), divided
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon seasoned pepper medley
    2 tablespoons melted butter
    3 cups half and half
    6 eggs, slightly beaten
    1 teaspoon salt
    3/4 teaspoon fines herbes
    1/2 teaspoon seasoned pepper medley
    3 cups finely shredded colby and Monterey Jack cheese
    1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, completely drained
    1/2 cup marinated sun dried tomatoes, drained, chopped

Press hash browns with paper towels to absorb moisture. In large bowl, combine hash browns, 1/2 cup onion, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper medley. Press into bottom of buttered 9x13 inch glass baking dish. Brush with melted butter. Bake in a preheated 425 degree oven until lightly browned around edges (20-25 minutes).

In large bowl, whisk together half and half, eggs, 1 teaspoon salt, fines herbes and 1/2 teaspoon pepper medley. Stir in cheese, spinach, remaining 1/2 cup onion and tomatoes. Pour mixture over potato crust. Bake, uncovered, in a preheated 350 degree oven until center is set (35-45 minutes). Let stand, covered, 10 minutes; cut into squares.
    Amount: 8-10 servings

For a do-ahead, bake and refrigerate crust; combine and refrigerate filling. Remove from refrigerator; pour filling over crust and bake as directed above.

This one was posted a long time ago by Sue, I make it often. Hash Brown Quiche 3c frozen hash browns (Southern Style) 1 small onion, diced 1/3 c butter, melted 1 cooked ham steak, diced 8oz swiss cheese, grated 8oz muenster cheese, grated 2\-1/4c milk or cream 6 eggs Salt to taste Preheat oven to 425F. Mix together hash browns and onion Press into 9x13 pan Drizzle with melted butter Bake 25\-35 minutes until golden Reduce oven temperature to 325F Toss together ham and cheeses, place into hot crust Mix milk, eggs and salt and pour into crust Bake uncovered for 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean Let stand 10 minutes before serving Linda
  • lazycook
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all for your suggestions. I made the Egg Scramble and the Breakfast Casserole and will put in the oven tomorrow morning or I should say this morning as it is already 1:00 a.m. I cut the recipes in half and kind of overcooked the sausage but hopefully they'll come out ok. Now with all these new recipes I'll have to try some of them out. If you have anymore recipes I'd like to add them to my collection.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths