SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mandogirl

Cooking Confessions

mandogirl
16 years ago

Forgive me, Cooking forum members, for I have transgressed. I have never, not once ever, made mashed potatoes. I have been known to buy the boxed flakes on occasion and make those. I don't know why I don't want to make them. I love eating them when others make them. They are delicious. Something about the process of making them myself turns me off. It seems like too much work for a side dish, I guess. I'd rather roast them chopped with some olive oil and seasonings.

Anyway...thought this would be a fun topic. The Cooking Confessional is open!

If someone wants to play the "cooking priestess" and assign penance, feel free. ;-)

Comments (99)

• deborah_ps
    16 years ago

I agree with the leftovers growing...no matter how little I use...it will turn out in heaps! LOL.
    Spam lover here. MMM good, nice and crispy please.
    Vienna sausages...I like to sip the broth.
    SOS is a family favorite using cream o mush soup and hamburger. Comfort food ya know!

• mustangs81
    16 years ago

Okay, another confession for liking Hamburger Helper--doctored up.

I always used canned apple pie filling until Sheshebop showed me how easy it was to make the real thing.

Mandogirl, In addition to the chips in the brownie mix, I use bourbon instead of water.

Never had a fried egg...not gonna either.

Kathy, I thought we made MLCs virgins loose it at camp.

• Related Discussions

Secret Confession, I LOVE some 'weeds'...

Q

Comments (4)
    I wish I did have bees, some people around here keep bees and we do spot some (at least we did last year). We also have lots of apple trees and some cherry trees that they love too. :) I also got some agastache for the bees and to use for tea. I love to see honey bees, I have actively been propagating the dandelions, wild violets as well as the red and white clover in our yard so they can use it. I love honey too! Yum!
    ...See More

Salmon recipe to make a small amount feed more

Q

Comments (8)
    Here is a Marinara sauce : You don't need the Green Pepper or the other seafood. Cut the Salmon in cubes add to sauce for 10 minutes, or less. Posted by hawk307 (My Page) on Fri, Dec 21, 07 at 19:40 To make Ciappino, I use a Marinara Sauce but I usually wing it. Ingredients : 1 - 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes 1 cup of Chopped Onions 1/2 cup of Chopped Green Peppers 4 Cloves of Garlic chopped small or 1 teaspoon of Garlic powder Spices: 1/2 teaspoon of Basil 1/4 teaspoon of Oregano 1/4 teaspoon of Old Bay seasoning 1 Teaspoon of Salt, add more later to taste. 1 tablespoon of Sugar for acidity 1/3 cup of fresh Parsley or 3 tablespoons of Parsley flakes 1/4 teaspoon of Black Pepper an Italian pinch of Red pepper, if you like it hotter. I start with a 28 ounce can of Contadina or Tutto Rosso Crushed tomatoes Put the Tomatoes in a pot, on the range top and start to simmer. Total time about 30 minutes. Add a little water if it is too thick, stirring often. If you burn it, you get the wooden spoon treatment. Meanwhile : Put the Onions , Green Peppers and Garlic, in a Micro wave safe bowl with 2 tablespoons of water. Nuke them for about 2 minutes , or until softened a little. Then put them into the simmering Tomatoes. Add all the spices. When the Tomatoes have simmered at least 1/2 hour. Give them a taste test . Add whatever spices you like. I use a lot of garlic and parsley in Marinara Sauce. I donÂt cook it as long as Spaghetti Sauce. Now put in the fishes and seafood of your choice. Put in a small can of Minced Clams with the juices. Mussels, calms, crabs, Scallops first. Then the faster cooking seafood last ( Shrimp, Haddock etc.) Add whatever you like . I forgot the Red Wine.!!!!! Drink a glass while you're making this.!!! Save me a portion and some bread for dipping. LOU HERE ARE SCALLOOPS IN MARINARA SAUCE
    ...See More

Confessions of a 'non hood' user

Q

Comments (60)
    re exhaust. Makes no difference to me what other people choose to do, but here is a cautionary tale. We just redid our 7 y/o kitchen top to bottom and wall to wall. We have been in the house about a year. The prior owners had a recirculating thing. When we took it down, it was nasty filthy. On close inspection, the pendant lighting, the cabinets and their hinges, above the cabinets, and the ceilings were dirty and grimy. Icky, ick, ick. I had to take the pendants totally apart and clean every little piece. We painted the ceiling and walls with some blocker paint after scrubbing it all and before repainting so the grease won't come through the new paint. FWIW - I don't think they cooked much and we didn't knowing the hood wasn't really a hood and we didn't want our house smelling like dinner. One advantage of not having proper ventilation for me personally was that it forced us to learn outdoor grilling and BBQ.
    ...See More

Cooking/Not cooking

Q

Comments (17)
    I am single and I cook often :-) First, because I enjoy it and second, I get a dish or meal in mind and I want it so I prepare it. I do not prepare a regular dinner every night but I do several times a week, often something that produces leftovers I enjoy - roast chicken, meatloaf, a casserole or pasta of some type or soups or stews. And I am becoming more creative in fixing some dishes in smaller proportions so I don't generate a ton of leftovers. But I don't cook every night. Sometimes I will just assemble a sandwich, which I consider to be a complete meal, depending on what's included. And some nights, dinner is just an assemblage of snacks or hors d'oeuvres - crackers, cheeses, smoked salmon, salami or pate, some fruit, etc. In summer it is often a main dish salad but always with some protein included - taco meat, leftover chicken or steak, seafood, etc. And pasta for one is dead simple and can include anything you like. And my fall back dinner when hungry but haven't a clue what to fix - breakfast! I am also lucky to have a nearby grocery with a wonderful deli counter (both hot and cold) and with a penchant for offering a lot of single portion size products - meats, semi prepared dishes (like a chicken parmesan filet you take home and cook and sauce to your taste or a single stuffed pork chop) and sides as well as a huge salad bar, a soup bar and a chicken/wings bar and an outdoor BBQ kiosk that I take advantage of frequently. While not the most economical way to eat, it sure is a godsend for a single person!!
    ...See More
  • sally2_gw
    16 years ago

"In addition to the chips in the brownie mix, I use bourbon instead of water." Oh, Mustangs, now there's an idea I'm gonna copy! MMmmm.

Speaking of Ramen, I used to eat it every day until I became vegetarian. I can't find a vegetarian version of it, but I still look now and then. I don't know what they put in the stuff, but I always got real sleepy after eating Ramen noodles. Maybe they lace it with drugs and that's why so many students eat it - not because it's cheap food, but because it's cheap drugs!

I don't really like Japanese food in general, which totally disappoints my DH, since he lived in Japan for 18 months and loves it. Miso is way too salty, and most other stuff is way too sweet. And sushi is way too seaweedy. I hate sweet and sour anything. Yuck - if they'd only left the sweet part out it'd be fine.

Sally

• vacuumfreak
    16 years ago

Oh boy, Cathy, Jessy could have a field day with your last sentence. I'll assume you meant LOSE :o)

• rachelellen
    16 years ago

Molten Lava Cake? Never heard of it! So I guess I am also an MLC virgin. Of course, I don't have much of a sweet tooth, so that's probably why. I bake for other people, so it's generally what they like or ask for. It sounds good though.

Now, the Spam-n-egger sounds yummy! :D

Arley, I like evap in my coffee too. I always have cans in the pantry for when we run out of half and half, but sometimes I just prefer it.

I also like Ramen, dances, and what's worse, I have a Cup o' Noodle habit. My cat likes the noodles, so if she sees me with that styrofoam cup, she sits down with me and waits for me to share.

deborah, I don't sip the broth, I chill the can before opening it so the broth is a jelly to dip the sausages in.

Here's an awful secret...I like dried pasta better than fresh. :O

• happygram
    16 years ago

Where to begin???

...don't like shrimp, liver, avocado, sushi, calamari, or lamb

...can't make a piecrust to save my life

...can't seem to have everything for dinner ready to serve at the right time

...don't "clean as I go"

...have roasted a turkey and my MIL found the "junk" inside that I roasted with it...who knew to stick my hand in there??!!

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. It felt good to confess.

• Daisyduckworth
    16 years ago

Not a confession, exactly, but the people who spoke about leaving the bag of gizzards in the turkey reminded me of my friend/ex-partner who died not so long ago.

Amongst the Christmas goodies he served was a lovely-looking salad. Then his daughter delicately picked out, with her fingers, the cellophane package of croutons, and the plastic sachet of dressing that had both come in the original packaging!! Very mortifying!

And back to me - I have so many sins!! I don't exactly like my meat 'charcoal on the outside and burnt in the middle', but it's not far from it. The faintest tinge of pink, and I can't eat my meat. I like meat well-done - not so red that when you prick it with the fork, it says 'Moo' and you have to chase it around the plate while it bleeds to death. Yech. I like my meat well and truly DEAD!

• gardengrl
    16 years ago

Cathy, I must have missed the de-flowering. I even bought ramekins just for the special moment.

Sigh.

I feel so un-cool

• annie1992
    16 years ago

Kathy, I made mine in muffin pans, LOL, then Dishesdone sent me ramekins.

Oh, and I don't just eat beef rare, I eat it RAW. Regularly. I also like eggs with runny yolks.

Annie

• lowspark
    16 years ago

Sally2,
    They do make a vegetarian ramen noodle. If there's a kosher section in your grocery store, or, especially a store that carries a lot of kosher stuff, check there. I buy parve ramen noodles for my vegeterian son. Parve means no dairy products or meat products are in the ingredients. I don't remember the brand and it's not as cheap as the regular ramens (I think it's more like 2/$1 instead of 8/$1) but it is out there!

• mustangs81
    16 years ago

Kathy, You are way COOL as evident by your chicken feet. Now that I have checked my camp diaries, the MCL deflowering was accomplished in front of an audience at the Beefcakes and Babes Get Together.

• caflowerluver
    16 years ago

I also am a MLC virgin! One of these days I will make it. When in a rush I have been know to use boxed mashed potatos, brownies and cakes from a mix, jar sauce, canned veggies and frozen mac & cheese.

I hate well done steak and when certain other meats are cooked to death, I like the pink inside. But won't eat any fish or seafood raw. I also don't get the whole sushi thing. I've had it but don't really like it.

I have a small electric deep fryer sitting in its box for over a year. I confess I love fried food but am afraid to do it myself, which is good for my diet! :>)
    Clare

• greenmulberry
    16 years ago

I love American cheese. It is the perfect omelet cheese.

I have eaten a MLC, but never made one.

I have never eaten spam. Knowingly anyway.

• karenforroses
    16 years ago

I can't make a good baking powder biscuit to save my soul! I've given up and now buy the wonderful frozen Schwans brand, and I've been known not to even mention they were 'store bought'.

My worst confession? The year my parents and in-laws came to our home for Thanksgiving and I had the roasted turkey resting before carving it. I went into the living room to refresh their drinks and when I came back into the kitchen I found my labrador retriever carrying the turkey across the kitchen with the breast in his mouth!!! I was horrified and there was only 10 minutes to go before dinner. I glanced over my shoulder - nobody was looking - grabbed the turkey, wiped it off, carved it and served it an never told anyone! The dog and I were both **&$** off at each other for weeks!

• moosemac
    16 years ago

Oh the shame.....I've never owned or cooked anything in a crockpot. I only eat my own homemade baked beans. On the subject of baked beans, I use Boston style baked kidney beans in my chili (Sorry Texans but I am from New England!). My family is ground beef deprived since I detest it except for the 2 times each year when I'm overcome with an inexplicable craving for a medium rare hamburger. Same goes for hot dogs. I use the roll up pie crust most of the time...I too hate to roll out pie crust. I buy the jars of minced garlic instead of peeling and mincing cloves. When I get over run with asparagus, I cut off the tips, cut them up, put them in stir fry and tell my family they are spring green beans. Funny thing is they think it's just "spring" beans. (They hate asparagus.) I on the other hand will eat asparagus until I can't stand the smell emanating from my body. I love meat cooked red and tuna the same way, raw oysters, scallops serviche and the like. I am not an MLC virgin, having eaten it and had a "failure to launch" attempting to create it.

• mustangs81
    16 years ago

I ran with the kitchen scissors the other day!

• maiaa
    16 years ago

Sally2, they do have veggie Ramen, it is the dark blue package "Oriental" flavor. We have a stash of them here because my sister is a veggie and I use it for that cabbage/ramen salad when she comes over.

• vicki_lv_nv
    16 years ago

I am a MLC virgin too. I bought ramekins for just that purpose. Never made them. Probably won't.

I don't make my own bread...it is too cold in my house usually for it to rise. I have never made a pie crust and since I really don't care for pie, I probably never will.

Spam, over easy fried egg, onion, tomato and cheese on an English muffin would be and is, HEAVEN!

My fish has to be dry. I don't want to see any "flaky, moist" fish on my plate. Gross. And I would really just as soon not have fish period. Tuna out of a can? Never. Gross.

I have never eaten a fresh oyster. Again, gross.

I DO mince and chop my own garlic--99% of the time. I have bought about 10 different kitchen gadget mincers, only to use them once and find they are a bigger pain to clean than worth using.

I have NEVER made, or even bought instant potatoes.

I don't use box mixes for cakes or brownies. I may try brownies, and add bourbon though.

I have been known to make a mean "doctored up, tuna-less, Tuna Helper, tuna tetrazinni" But that is the only "helper" I do use.

I am a collector of recipes...most of which I have never made, but are in a 3 ring binder labeled "Favorite Recipes".

I have been known to out and out lie, saying I really don't care for a certain food, when in fact I actually love it. I have to do this to get out of eating anything MIL makes.

I will see if I can remember more overnight. LOL

• teacats
    16 years ago

I use mixes for cakes and brownies.

We finally made omelets last night. First time ever -- and they turned out wonderfully!

I put beans in chili.

• sheshebop
    16 years ago

Wow! who knew???
    I made biscuits for the first time about 3 weeks ago. I compiled a bunch of recipes from this forum and starting trying different ones. They were fabulous.
    I NEVER make brownies from a mix.
    I often use cake mixes.
    I love Hungry Jack boxed potatoes and often pass them off as homemade. (I have never found another brand that tastes so much like real ones though)
    I NEVER buy a pie crust.
    I RARELY sift
    I have never deep fried in my life
    I NEVER ever buy canned pie filling
    I DO use cream of mushroom soup
    I DO use pasta sauce jars. (However, I doctor them up)
    Like lowspark, I love Hormel chili. I mix with cheese, and taco seasoning. I do it in the crockpot and use it as a nacho dip. Yum.
    I am not ashamed of any shortcuts I take in the kitchen if it gets a meal on the table, or affords me more free time. However, most of what I do is from scratch.
    AND...all this talk about MLC...I am going into the kitchen right now to make them.
    Sherry

• jimster
    16 years ago

Karenforroses must get the prize for her Thanksgiving incident confession. Although there are some close runnersup, I don't know if I ever could have confessed to that one.

Vicki's book of favorite recipes she's never made cracked me up.

Jim

• mandogirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My grandmother who passed when I was nine (rest her), and whom I will forever regret not knowing as an adult because she seemed like one funny lady, hated to cook and was not good at it. When she had people over her sister-in-law who was her best friend would make the main course. Once after a party a guest called my grandmother to find out how she made the delicious whatever-it-was, and my grandmother made up a recipe on the spot and relayed it to the lady on the phone like she knew what she was talking about, down to exact measurements & cooking times. The lady made said recipe and later said to my grandmother, "You know, Peg, it didn't turn out quite the same." Oh, really? ;-)

This is my same grandmother who wasn't allowed to smoke on her college campus and so was routinely suspended from school for being caught smoking off campus after curfew. Not that I condone the smoking , but I admire her rebellious spirit.

Things I have to thank her for: 1) her terrible cooking made my mom want to be a good cook, which she is, so I grew up eating yummy family meals. 2) she made my mom eat horrible lima beans and liver and onions, which my mom hated, so I never had to eat them. 3) (This goes along with 1) Meatloaf in my house was delicious. Meatloaf in my grandmother's house was a big ball of ground meat straight out of the package, nothing added, cooked into oblivion in the oven, and drenched in ketchup. That and some white bread with butter was dinner. Blech!

• BeverlyAL
    16 years ago

My Confessions:

I have never cook lamb.

I have never cooked a ham. It's already cooked and I eat as is or warm it by the slice.

I cannot eat instant potatoes, no, no, no and I haven't found anyone's mashed potatoes but mine and my Mother's that I really like.

I love bologna between two slices of white bread. I do not eat wheat bread at all. Ciabatta and other breads are excellent though.

I do not eat anything that has ever been in water except for frog legs.

I'll eat Mac and Cheese from the blue box if I have to, but only one or two bottled salad dressings will I touch. If I go to someone's house that has bottled dressings I will eat my salad dry or with a little lemon juice and salt if there's any available.

I have started cooking with far too much cream.

• sheshebop
    16 years ago

AND...I almost alays use bottled dressings

• chase_gw
    16 years ago

For someone who loves food, cooking and entertaining I am sinfully plebeian in my tastes.

I have never eaten fresh artichokes, avocados (including guacamole), oysters, calamari or black beans.

Have never cooked lamb, tuna, brussel sprouts, parsnips or rutabaga/turnip.

There are lots of other things I have never eaten or cooked but these are the things that others seem to enjoy that don't appeal to me in the least.

• jimster
    16 years ago

Chase, you just posted a short list of my favorite foods. LOL!

OTOH, it's just as well we don't all have the same preferences. The price of oysters would be out of sight. I love avocados but refuse to pay over $1.25 for one. Today they were $1.79. Too many people like them.

Jim

• sands99
    16 years ago

Hey Chase, it's easy to be a great cook with black truffles and Kobe beef. It takes a little vision to do it fun, right, and creative on a budget.

I most respected the challenge on Top Chef where they were presented with a chicken, a potato and an onion and told to go to town.

• judiegal6
    15 years ago

I understand the need for using instant potatoes once in a while, but I'm surprised that nobody mentioned using the "Country Crock" mashed potatoes that you buy in the refrigerator section. MY DH thinks I make the best mashed potatoes ever. Those rotisserie chickens you can get at the grocery store, I put them in my own baking dish, and call it "Chicken Transfero'"
    I HATE seafood, mushrooms, olives, artichokes.
    I do cook in a pressure cooker all the time but it did explode once. Broccoli Rabe, stains.
    I do something my mother never would, I cook several different things every night for ezch individual taste. I have 6 daughters and none of them like the same thing

• nan_nc
    15 years ago

I ate roast leg of lamb once, definitely didn't like it. Have never cooked any sort of lamb.

LOVE artichokes, avocados, abalone (which you pretty much can't get anymore), fresh crab, fresh fish of almost any kind. My mother was born and grew up in in CA and I grew up in OR not so very far from the ocean so was introduced to these things at an early age.

I do not like pasta. Not the skinny, not the hearty, especially not the lasagna! And don't even make me look at a pasta salad! I have never made lasagna, or pasta salad, and probably never will.

I use boxed potato flakes often to thicken chili, and have used them in an emergency when such were a neccessity and no spuds were at hand. Didn't admit it, either. Also use boxed Au Gratin potatoes fairly often. DH doesn't care what he eats, and I can either eat it or not. Bottled salad dressings are a regular at our table, because DH will only eat sweet dressings and I don't care to make them. Catalina, anyone?

I can't make fried chicken. I tried several times many years ago, all disasters, and never tried again. I bake it instead. A cheater, I know. Mea culpa.

Early in my first marriage, a friend brought some very expensive steaks for me to fix for dinner. I baked them to leather! The only way I had ever had steak was well-done, and didn't know any better. It took me many years, and many failures, to learn how to cook anything edible.

• veggrljo
    15 years ago

Ok -
    I hate raw tuna!
    I dislike rare duck!
    In the past I have baked brownies from mix and let people think I made them.
    I hate margarine, canola oil and raspberry vinegar.
    I am a good cook and absolutely despise cooking for my family on the Holidays.
    I have purchased marinara and used it when I could have easily made it.
    I am a fresh produce snob and try to avoid frozen if possible.

• jimster
    15 years ago

I put water and a new filter in the coffee maker but forgot the grounds.

Made a nice pot of filtered hot water.

More than once.

If you tell you have never done this, I won't believe you.

Jim

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

No, but I have tried to brew whole beans without grinding!

• whiteorchid75
    15 years ago

I am an MLC virgin, as well. And I am absolutely a chocolate whore, so this is really a bad thing. *is that two confessions so far?*

Since I've had kids, I have served such things as the little frozen pot pies that you bake for an hour, boxed frozen salisbury steak, rotisserie chicken from the store that I've shredded up and tossed over a bagged salad with shredded cheese and croutons and Kraft dressing. I call it supper and we all shut up and eat it, though we are used to much, much better.

When DSW and I were newlyweds, I tried to make au gratin potatoes and used water instead of milk. He ate them, bless his heart. My mother tore into me when she found out, though, and said I was lucky he didn't ask for a divorce, LOL.

I always miss a bay leaf (or a cinnamon stick or a huge woody herb of some kind) when cooking things that call for them, and without fail, DSW finds it in his bowl or plate.

• bri29
    15 years ago

This thread is great! :) Ok I have a few confessions:
    I've never made a decent pie crust (that doesn't shrink away from the edges). I keep telling myself I need to just try it one more time...

I a MLC virgin too.

Perhaps the biggest confession: I don't like chocolate. I will bake with it all day, but I couldn't tell you the difference between a good chocolate and a bad one. That's what I have my dh for. He's a good taste tester!

Bri

• carol_in_california
    15 years ago

I don't like donuts......

• noodlesportland
    15 years ago

I never ever make a pie crust-just can't. Use the Pillsbury roll out and smiled and said thanks! when my super duper baker friend told me how great my crust was!!!

• acorn
    15 years ago

I love bisquick, biskets and inpossible pies, dumplings too.
    Boxed mashed potatoes are better with a tbs of mayo added in the end.
    I use Knorr sauce mixes when I am in a hurry or my sauce didn't pan out.
    I don't bake pies or cakes
    I don't fry, hate the after smell.
    I am an MLC virgin
    I have made dry coffee, forgot the water
    I make frito pie but put lettuce and salsa on top.

• jimster
    15 years ago

"I have made dry coffee, forgot the water"

OK, I'll confess. I have made both filtered hot water and dry coffee. I find that coffee is so much better when made with both water and coffee grounds.

Jim

• annie1992
    15 years ago

LOL, Jim, I've done both of those AND I've also forgotten to pour out the remains of yesterday's coffee and brewed today's coffee right into the pot, causing a flood onto my counter when the pot overfills...

Annie

• lindac
    15 years ago

Oh! Dear! I use a senseo machine....really a no brainer....fill the water reservoir and it will make 3 huge mugs without refilling. Flip up the thingey and put a new pod in, sit your cup under the spout push the button and...as my dear departed neighbor would say "it pees thought".
    I have made it both dry, coffee less and without closing the "thingey" and it squirted hot water at me.
    I am not good in the morning....

**** I buy canned goods and never use them until they are too old to risk.
    I only use canned tomatoes, occasionally mushrooms, creamed corn little cans of B and M baked beans and pineapple, crushed, and chunks.
    So....why do I have spinach, black eyed peas, fruit cocktail (eww!) kidney beans, chili beans and who knows what else?*****
    Don't breathe a word of the above to anyone, especially my kids or they will think Mom is losing it!....and I'm not sure they even know what "it" is!!LOL!
    Linda C

• sheesh
    15 years ago

After 40 years my husband still won't let me forget the first roast beef I tried to prepare - in a frying pan!

I still can't make my favorite old-fashioned fudge from the recipe on the cocoa can. I tried again just last night because I am preparing for a fundraiser bake sale. I bought a new candy thermometer just for the occasion. Now hub has yet another disaster to rib me about. It looked like tar. I tried to cover it up and throw it out, which only made matters worse. He and DD caught me and are still laughing tonight, asking for a "taste of fudge, please." Dozens of cookies, brownies, blondies, etc. available, and they tease me about fudge! Harumph.

• partst
    15 years ago

I'm an MLC virgin. But I have eaten it several times. I never sift and I am afraid of the self clean cycle on the oven. I donÂt fry anything except eggs.

LindaÂÂ

If your kids ask about the canned goods just tell they you are prepared for an emergency! ThatÂs what I told my DD when she ask why I have canned B&M brown bread and canned butter. IÂm sure my DD thinks I have already lost it. LOL

Claudia

• centralcacyclist
    15 years ago

If I must:

I almost always make pancakes (but not waffles) from an add-water-only mix that I doctor with some vanilla and a bit of sugar.

I've never made MLCs.

I have never deep fried, scares me. I will happily saute, grill, broil, boil, steam, sear, braise, or stir fry. No vats of hot oil, please.

I like instant tea.

I have been known to use garlic powder.

I have cooked and served Rice-a-Roni. And fish sticks. At the same meal. With ketchup. But not recently.

I am terrible at grilling. I have been known to finish chicken in the microwave.

I have never made a cheesecake.

I have never made my own spaghetti sauce. Though I have doctored many a jar.

Eileen

• pat_t
    15 years ago

I've avoided this thread long enough.

Being in culinary school, one would at least think I'm open to trying new things, right? WRONG!

I grew up eating meat, bread, and taters. And that's what I like.

I've never tried lamb, much less cooked it.

The very thought of trying sushi or rare tuna makes me gag.

I'd never made an omelet until I learned how in school.

I still get yelled at in school because I don't sift. (ha ha, and you can't MAKE me!).

The only thing culinary school has done for me is enable me to know that I CAN make anything I want, at any time, and that it WILL be edible!

I have boxed potatoes in my pantry. I prefer "kitty" tuna too (in oil, no less). I adore fish sticks with tartar sauce from a squeeze bottle. I love Red Baron frozen pizza. Rice-a-roni is a regular feature at our dinner table.

I prefer to bake and NOT cook. And I never made MLC's until we did it in baking class!

As Toby Keith says, "How do you like me now?"

• jessyf
    15 years ago

I learned to can on this forum - but I find I don't love canned vegetables. I'm another fresh produce snob - I try to buy organic, but I will buy conventional and wash well. I do buy certain frozen veggies that hold up well (roasted corn, TJs green beans, peas, but never broccoli).

I try to read and post to the WFD thread but lose patience with loading times. I also don't want to be rude and post my meals without oohing and ahhing over everyone elses.

I have a wide appreciation of all foods, cuisines, textures and tastes in spite of my kosher restrictions but still can't get myself to like duck, tarragon, sage or black canned California olives.

I use mostly bottled salad dressings because I don't like making salads and I don't like vinegars - sour doesn't like ME.

I like to eat out - good restaurants, not chains.

I need a McDonald's Filet o Fish every once in a while. Ah those steamed buns.

I don't cook weekday breakfasts for my kids. They get their own storebought stuff out of the fridge/freezer. At least it's TJs items with no more ingredients than I would put in myself. That means they better eat it fast before it goes bad!

• rachelellen
    15 years ago

I have a new one! Just did it the other night! It has been so hot, I hate to have the stove on, so try to do most of my meals on the bbq. However, the other day I had some very good looking short ribs that I usually make Korean style, but was feeling horribly lazy, too lazy to grate ginger, mince garlic, slice green onions etc., for a marinade.

So, I browned them well, stuck them in the crock pot with some sauteed onions, 2 c of beef stock, some bell peppers, several smashed garlic cloves and.....

a packet of Lawry's taco seasoning mix!

About 7 hours later, I de-greased the juices and thickened them into a sauce. They were delicious!

I have no idea how that seasoning packet made it into my pantry, nor any idea how long it had been there. I have not (to my knowledge) purchased such seasoning packets since college. DH denies having anything to do with it being there. I may have to investigate seasoning packets again. :D

• lyndaluu2
    15 years ago

I will NEVER I mean NEVER make or eat sauerkraut!!! Add spam to that too!!!

Linda

• mike1975
    15 years ago

I can't eat seafood...allergic. Would kill for a bite of lobster with an EPI pen chaser...just in case!
    I love my steaks rare.
    I hate spam.
    Mayonnaise is not allowed within 50 feet of me...absolutely revolting!

• moosemac
    5 years ago

My confessions...

1. I can't bake well especially sweets. My piecrusts are epic failures, Pillsbury with an egg wash works for me. I can bake some wonderful yeast breads thanks to my Zo. I can ruin a box cake or brownie mix without effort. My quick breads and muffins are hit or miss, either fabulous or lead weights. My son and daughter can bake wonderful cookies but mine are usually inedible. Sad part is I taught both kids to cook. It probably all stems from the fact, I don't like sweets. When I was a young girl anything with sugar made me nauseous; I am not much better now though I can tolerate a bit of honey or maple syrup.

2. I will not use canned or boxed broths, stocks or soup; they smell like cheap pet food to me. If it is not homemade, I will do without.

3. I use instant mashed potatoes for only one recipe, my version of Shepherd's Pie. I doctor the potatoes with onion powder, orange American cheese, butter and cream. I eat soup or salad on the nights we have this dish. My family loves it, me not so much.

4. I almost never use measuring spoons or cups. I usually eyeball it in my hand.

5. I never follow a recipe exactly. I think of recipes as guidelines rather than gospel.

6. I am addicted to kitchen gadgets, appliances and anything cooking oriented which tends to he a problem. LOL

7. I am an MLC virgin.

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

This has been a fun, 10-year old read. Too many people aren't here anymore. I'm approaching that.

I'm adverse to working with flour (Hi, Annie!). I like Spanish Rice-a-Roni. I make tuna mac and cheese with Bob Evan's refrigerated casserole mixed with frozen peas and - gasp - buttered Panko. But I do bake it in a Spanish clay au gratin casserole...

I've never made mashed potatoes from a box. I still remember the taste of powdered milk from my 1950's childhood and don't drink milk of any kind to this day. And I hate Pringles.