SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aecinv

Second Air Return Length

aecinv
14 years ago

Currently in a 2400 sq ft two story home we have a single 14x30 air return in the top of the stairwell. It lacks effectiveness throughout the house so we're planning to install a second return duct to pull from downstairs areas.

The main return trunk currently is 16" x 10 feet duct to the the system in the attic. I was going to branch that with an equal or larger flow area chase or duct to the downstairs, by adding onto a corner closet upstairs, and then making a wall thicker downstairs to accommodate a chase approx 28"x10.5" to reach the crawlspace. Not ideal, but this particular route is fairly close to the HVAC system.

Another option I thought of, is instead adding an area for a large duct directly on the side of my chimney enclosure (located outside on the end of my house, it's made of wood framing and siding with an approved duct flue for the fireplace). Taking this route is about equal just until I reach my crawl space, but then I'd need to add another 14' or so to reach the point where I'd distribute to my planned two or three return grilles downstairs.

My question is how much effectiveness would I lose with such an increased return duct length, (if I chose the second option) and would I need to consider any additional options (stronger blower maybe)?

I'd already be at 24-26 feet with the second return branch just to reach the crawlspace before distribution to grilles. I don't want to use a ceiling return downstairs because my supply vents are already in the ceiling, and I'm trying for effective cross ventilation. With crawlspace feeding, I could put some vents in the walls near the floor in effective places. I'm not sure if my current blower has any pressure to spare, but it does give a slight whistle in the current upstairs air return when it's running. What's appealing about the second option is no tearing up walls on the inside (although some work on the outside), but I'm concerned about adding too much additional length either way.

Replies appreciated.

Comments (7)