SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fitzski_gw

Cold Air Return duct question - what is this? (pics)

fitzski
15 years ago

After a major renovation last year that relocated much of our duct work, the HVAC contractors did a less than stellar job. As I go through and right the wrongs (unconnected supply lines, unnecessary elbows and splices, shoddy assembly...), I've noticed a few things about the cold air return.

The main cold air return line runs the length of my long bungalow. One of the returns is in an upstairs hallway more or less directly above the return line. What has me puzzled is why the contractors boxed in a LARGE section of joists as part of this return (see the photos)?

The first photo shows the boxed in section. The cold air return comes through the floor directly above the I-beam. The second photo is looking over the main cold air return line into the boxed section (note that the boxed section was already "boxed" by a piece of blocking!), and you can see the cutout of the floor above for the return.

Is there an explanation for this?

{{gwi:1571979}}

{{gwi:1571981}}

Also, the actual sheetmetal cutouts in the return trunk line (barely visible at the bottom of the 2nd photo) that draw from this cold air return aren't huge... they are a pair of standard supply line boot size rectangular cutouts (~5x6?). Is that adequate, or should they be larger?

Thanks for the help; hope my explanation is clear!

Comments (6)