SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wyundiv

Faulty Heat Exchanger & Exhaust Gases

15 years ago

Hello All,

First time poster here. I read the excellent thread on heat exchangers and thought I'd ask for some advice. First a little history:

We built a new house in upstate New York in 2004. The heating subcontractor is one of the largest HVAC service companies in our area, but we have had nothing but trouble from our propane hot air system. I will only relate what is relevant. The trouble started when, one morning in 2005, we heard an explosion coming from the basement. After the service tech got here, he discovered that the propane conversion kit had not been installed on the furnace, and it was firing as if the furnace was on natural gas (a much larger orifice, meaning a much hotter and larger flame). Hence, the explosions. At the time, my father asked about whether the heat exchanger would have been damaged. The tech said, "Probably not." Subsequent to this, my father has periodically smelled combustion products for fleeting moments.

We just had our yearly service call on the furnace, and were told that because the flame looked funny and the exhaust from the furnace on the outside of the house smelled funny that the heat exchanger was failing. He didn't say "cracking" or anything that would alarm us. More recently, we have pegged down the combustion products as being smelled just as the system is being turned on (the fan revving up) and only when there is no one walking around the house.

Now the company wants to disassemble our furnace to replace the heat exchanger. I have a few questions:

1. The service tech did not use any CO sniffer or other instrument to check for CO after he "discovered" the problem. Should he have?

2. We have all had low-level headaches, perhaps not attributable to combustion products. We have CO detectors, but they read 0 all the time. Are there other combustion products in propane that can cause headaches? Obviously we're smelling something and CO is odorless!

3. What are the chances of the heat exchanger failing again?

4. Has anyone who has had a replacement installed had any other problems with their furnace subsequent to this?

We are considering fighting for a completely new furnace, not only due to this problem, but to numerous other problems. I just wish there were a lemon law for furnaces and boilers!

Thanks for all your help everyone.

Walter

Comments (2)