SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisazone6_ma

Just Back From Philadelphia

lisazone6_ma
15 years ago

I went to the Philadelphia Flower Show with my sister this past weekend. It was fantastic - Bella Italia was the theme this year. They even had a canal set up with a full-sized gondola in it. Just beautiful.

Anyway, our hotel was right across from the convention center which is right at the edge of Chinatown, so we had some good meals at little places around the area. We had dinner one night at Thai Lake, where they keep the seafood live, in tanks at the front of the restaurant and your order "flaps" by you as they carry it from the tanks to the kitchen! I was glad no one around us ordered the frogs - the crabs and the fish were bad enough lol!! We wanted to go to a Vietnamese place the following night, but there was a 90 minute wait, so we ended up at Panang, a Malaysian place. They have one in Boston as well, so I had already been there, but still - their food is to die for. We had roti and green curry hot pot, a spicy shrimp dish, something I think was called Ming Siam if I remember correctly - a rice noodle dish, then a chicken dish made with scallions and ginger - everything was delish.

But my favorite part of the trip was we were right next door to the Reading Terminal Market - it was like I died and went to heaven! That place is fantastic!! We have Quincy Market here in Boston, but it's like a mall food court compared to Reading Terminal Market. Any kind of food from any culture you can think of is in there. You can get any kind of fresh seafood, they had stalls with nothing but cheese - hundreds of kinds to pick from. You could get vegetables, any kind of meats, chicken, pork, all different sausages. Then there were the Amish stalls with home made jellies and pickles, the baked goods would make your eyes boggle. I managed to cram two pecan sticky buns in my luggage to have when I got home - they got a little flattened, but they still tasted good. Oh, I am going to miss going to that place for breakfast every morning!! One night we just picked up some grapes and a couple cheeses, some nice olives, etc. and had a little party in our room. We were there helping out at one of the stalls - my sister and her friend own a seed company, so we had to work the show for a couple of hours during the day and we were in pretty early at night because we had to get up so early for the show, but we still had a ball and had plenty of free time to explore around. It was my first time there and I loved it. Everyone was very friendly as well. The snowstorm Monday delayed our flight, but we got home eventually.

I wish I were back there instead of here at work!

Lisa

Comments (14)