SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susie_que12

Greetings from Philadelphia!!

susie_que
14 years ago

What??

Thank you to everyone who dropped me an e mail and I apologize I have been without a computer for 2 weeks and only recently learned how to respond to e mail on my celly.

So here I am in Philadelphia...disgusted amd mad would be an understatement.

Let me backtrack just a bit.

So we have this buyer who by all accounts, is a strong buyer. She has a few debts but still has a 680 credit score so all is good right??

My realtor Ed tells us everything is going as planned until early July when Ed stops by to tell us there is a tiny problem with the buyer and we need to push closing back one week. I was a little surprized by this but Ed was not at all concerned, the matter causing the delay was rectified and a closing date of July 24th was set.

Let the countdown begin!!

All the arrangements have been made with all the utilities, cable, gas, water ect....the insurance for the new home was purchased, Drew was transferred to his new school and spoke to the folks at his new job. WE even got the paperwork to transfer our cars and licenses. I even had a little time send out "we moved" cards to family and friends.

On Thur July 24th we rented a huge moving truck and kenneled the dog. WE had ample help but loading the truck still took ALL DAY!!!

Once it was done we let FIL drive it to his house since here in the city there is no truck parking and truth be told I would be afraid around here someone might try to break in to it anyway.

All we kept was some blankets to camp out on the floor our last night here, some toiletries, our cat and some odds and ends which didn't make it on the truck.

There was an air of excitement and no one got a good nights sleep but we have to get moving as the buyer has her walk thru at 9am.

Turns out we had a lot of odds and end left in the house and since we are without one car we decided to let Amy run a full car load up to MIL's house-drop it off on the patio and come back for the rest.

All of this took a little extra time but the walk thru goes off without a hitch. The realtor even took the sign out of the lawn!! It was getting close to settlement and we knew we'd be a little late so we call Ed to let him know to which he responded "The documnets are not even here yet so take your time".

Finally we get everything out of the house and do our last walk thru. I am feeling sad and excited...Frank was the same. But we leave and go to the office to do the settlement.

At the office we are all together in a large room and things begin. But there are still no documents so we all wait.

Tick tock tick tock....time creeps along.

Ed asks us again what time our walk thru for the new house is, we say the walk thru is 2 pm with settlement at 3.

He says "no worries, as soon as the documents are faxed over, we'll have you out of here in no time."

Its now lunchtime and Ed gets us aside and says "look, there is a problem they need to sort out, why don't you guys go get a bite to eat and by the time you get back, we'll be set to go.

So we leave for about an hour but when we got back no progress had been made and in fact its gotten worse but Ed is still telling us to just hold tight.

Tick tock tick tock.....we missed our walk thru.

Tick tock tick tock.....we missed our settlement!!

Well it turns out there indeed was a HUGE problem with the buyer. One that lowered her credit score to 520 thus making her inelligable to an FHA loan.

All this time we were waiting, the big wigs at the realtors office were trying to get them to approve her mortgage.

So what was the problem that caused such a drastic drop in her credit score??? Well she had a Ballys gym membership which she paid thru her bank debit account. At some point her identity was stolen (she has a very common name) so she did the right thing and switched all of her accounts and even had the paperwork to prove it. But here Ballys was withdrawing the monthly dues from her dead account (this was their mistake not hers!!) The account fell into arrears and Ballys put a mark against her credit.

Even though it was not her fault but a glitch in the paperwork Bally still has the mark on her and flat out refuses to remove it. Believe me this girl had better hire herself a good attorney!!!

So its late Friday afternoon, our moving truck is still parked at the inlaws which is where the kids are and the cat.

Everything we own is on the truck so tightly packed in!!

Frank the kids and I have the clothes on our backs and the odds and ends in the cars.

So we stay at the inlaws for the night and try to come to terms with possibly having a dead deal on our hands but Ed assured us they would work thur the weekend and try to get her a mortgage.

On Saturday after another sleepless night we get up go to the storage place where we have a small unit, rent another unit and begin to take "some" of the stuff out of the moving truck. We were just trying to unload enough stuff so we can get to our mattresses and meds.

We come back to our philly house and unload the mattresses and place them on the livingroom floor along with a small tv and a cooler....see we do not want to go to the trouble of moving everything back in because we were told we may have a settlement on Monday.

Sunday we get out of dodge and go for a long drive to clear our heads and spend the day out...besides we still have to find a car for Amy since her wreck. But all day long not a word from ED...I was upset.

On Monday we get word that the NJ house would be available but only for a few more days so I get really upset. I simply cannot believe that we are going thru all this over a d@mn gym membership!! Worse yet I am starting to realize all the changing over we did to the NJ house would have to be changed back....including Drews school. I am totally overwhelmed. It wasn't intil late Monday night that Frank finally had to call Ed but there was no new news so we make the painful desicion to move back in. I made some calls to get some help and buy 12noon on Tuesday we were done.

We made all the calls to have the services put back on or at least in our names but the cable was to take the longest (ugh)!!!

On Tuesday evening there is a knock at the door, it is the boyfriend of the buyer to come a get her mail (keep in mind the buyer is deaf) and it was only then that we learned the deal was dead.

On Wed our house is back up for sale and we decide that since we are on vacation we should make the best of it and start trying to have some fun!! WE did go pick out a snazzy new truck for Amy. On Thurs we decided to take a trip into town to the Reading Terminal and then to Ikea to get a new computer desk (long story). It was a fun day. On Friday we decide to take a trip out to Lancaster Pa Dutch Country but while we were there we had a showing at the house. I really thought nothing of it all day and tried to have a good time, meanwhile our cell service is crap out there so we had a few voice mails. During dinner we get a voice mail from ED just saying to call him ASAP but with bad phone service we wait till we are halfway home.

The lady who came to look at the house made an offer and wants to move in QUICK!!!

She is a techer in the Philly school and wants to be settled before school starts!!!

SO....we are under contract AGAIN!!

Now as for the NJ house I just learned that they will extend the original contract!!!

So it looks good for the end of August but can you guys believe this whole ordeal??

I will not until the ink is dry on both contracts and the keys are in my hand!!

So please say a prayer or send good vibes this new deal works out and we move on with our lives!!

Thanks for listening!

Susie

Comments (19)

• lowspark
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow! What a story! I am definitely holding my breath and hoping everything goes extra smoothly this time. You have gone through too much on selling this house!

I'm just going to predict now that everything is going to go really well on both sales and that you will look back on this one day, sitting in your great new house in NJ, and laugh.

Best to you Susie!

• scott55405
    14 years ago

Oh. My. Goodness. I do not know where you find your strength. I am holding positive thoughts that by month's end all will be as it should be! Kudos to all of you for making the best of a very bad situation.

• dedtired
    14 years ago

Dear heavens, what a mess. I have heard that you should never count a house as sold until the papers are signed and the keys are handed over. However, you DO have to pack up in advance!

I'm sure buyer #1 was equally as disappointed. What a shame.

Great luck that another buyer came along, though. I'm just so sorry that you have to wait even longer to get to your new house in NJ.

Thinking of you.

• bubbeskitchen
    14 years ago

Susie,
    I'm not around much any more, but a friend linked me to your post. You are remarkable to take this so well. You have an amazing threshold for things that are almost unbearably disappointing.
    I hope that you, Frank, Amy, and Drew, come out on the bright side of such lousy circumstances.
    ((((Hugz))))
    Bubbe

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

I can only imagine what this ordeal must have been like, and when you add to it the stress of having your house on the market for so long and all the waiting and waiting for the right buyer. I so wish I could give you a big hug in person but you'll have to settle for a virtual one. I will be thinking of you. You're not in this alone, you've got this forum praying for you! Hang in there girl!!

• sushipup1
    14 years ago

Oh, dear friend, what an ordeal. I can only admire your grace under pressure. I'd be in a puddle (booze/tears/blood or whatever) by now, and you are being a rock instead. My hat is off to you. It will all be a laugh to look back on, but while you are in the middle of it all, it's hard to keep a sense of humor.

I'll be with everyone else, waiting for the keys to be in your hand! You are under a charmed cloud right now, so keep your spirits high!

Hugs,

Helene

• compumom
    14 years ago

I'm in shock and I'm only reading your tale, not living it! I agree, I don't know how you deal with this stress! Anyway, thank goodness that another buyer was found and I'm holding my breath that all works out perfectly in the end. Good vibes, good wishes and good grief!
    Hugs,
    Ellen

• mitchdesj
    14 years ago

this is unbelievable, keep up your stregth, you seem to be taking it well; keep us posted and good luck !!

• Bizzo
    14 years ago

Wow!
    It will be quite a celebration when you do finally get to NJ. I'm so sorry you had to go through all this (and the buyer, too!!) But I'm very glad it worked out with a new buyer so quickly...

• blueiris24
    14 years ago

My gosh, Susie! I haven't been on here for months so I've missed all the latest -- I can't believe what a nightmare this whole selling/moving process has been for you. Moving is always so incredibly stressful, but what you've been through - WOW. That you are coming out of it with your chin up is amazing -- way to go -- and I'm keeping fingers crossed for this new buyer. ((hugs))

• lindac
    14 years ago

Yea gads!! Susie you better be writing a book about "The House That Would not Let Us Go".
    Wondering who slacked by not discovering that bad credit report earlier....?
    As you always say...."Cheers!"
    Linda C

• shaun
    14 years ago

OMG! My stomach is in a knot and cringing after reading that! I can only imagine how YOU feel as the person who is living this nightmare. I can not believe it.

You know selling/buying a house is THE MOST stressful and agonizing thing I've ever gone through too. It's an emotional roller coaster that's for certain.

But as "they" say (whoever they are) things happen for a reason. Maybe the "stars" wanted this teacher to live in your home instead of the other people.

Glad to hear your NJ home will wait for you. Phew Girl!!!!

• susie_que
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the support!! Yes its been almost surreal...like Iam watching it all unfold in front of me but its happening to someone else-then i wake up from my daydream only to realize its happening to me, I am peeved at Ed tho...he let us leave the office the day of settlement with no where to go. I am thankful to my inlaws but since they are not used to having guests it was very uncomfortable. so we had nothing. I feel he at least could of had us stay at hotel or even pay for dinner!! I mean even have us over for dinner!! I had nothing here at all. That is all behind us now-there is no where to go but forward!!

I am still waiting for a real settlment date...maybe either August 21-28, the good news is that the new buyer does not need to have an inspection or ap praisal so she can save the cash as well as the time!!

So we are living with only the bare minumum...our beds are just mattresses on the floor, we have just a sofa and loveseat. our TV is on and old stand as the tv console is packed away and too big to move. I have work clothes and some knock around clothes here and just one large pot and 2 fry pans to cook....paper plates and plastic cutlery! But we are getting by alright.

As for being strong...yea I am strong. If i felt kicking and screaming would have helped the situation then believe me I would have done it! But being a calm person I held it together...there have been other things going on in my world that all seem to happen during this summer that I haven't talked about publicly...so losing this deal was just part of it.
    I am quite sure once I get moved in and start living my new life I will have my breakdown its just right now I simply do not have the time LOL!!!

Hopefully I will get a settlement date by Monday after the teacher gets a look at all the reports...I will keep you all posted!!

CHEERS!
    Susie

• dedtired
    14 years ago

Susie, I admire you for keeping a good outlook on this situation. I guess it's like many things in life -- you just do what you have to do and keep putting one foot in front of the other.

Yes, when it rains it pours and it sure is pouring in Philadelphia as I am writing this. This will go down in history as The Summer of Your Discontent. You must feel like you are walking around with a little raincloud right over your head!

I wish you smooth sailing from this point on. Be sure to let us know how things are going.

Pam

• susie_que
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hello everyone.

As of today we still do not have a true settlement date.
    The teachers real estate agent is away on vacation so things are deleyed just a bit. for instance due to the quick settlement, they need a certified check for a deposit but we still only have a standard check. We also do not have any word on the inspection...I mean if the teacher wants to get her own inspection and put out the cash for it, she has not told us yet. at some point you have to wonder if the expense is worth it but she is with in her right to get one. also if she gets a new one, I would need time to fix anything se asks for.
    Its turning into a real nail biter as I still have Andrew registered in the new high school and I will need to have proof of residence before he can start, Amy will be back in college before we move so I don't have to worry about her too much although she is bummed she'll have no chance to work on her room or the rest of the house but she'll have a fall break in mid October.

If there is any bright side its that the central air system is nearing the end of its life expectancy at the new house so by the time we move we will not be needing it too much and we can start saving for a new unit for next spring.

So it looks like our future holds some promise!! LOL!

What a crazy ordeal this has been!!

Cheers!
    Susie

• petaloid
    14 years ago

Whew! What a headache -- I look forward to hearing when all the t's are crossed and the i's dotted.

I'm thinking it might be time to cancel my Bally's membership.

• dedtired
    14 years ago

Oh Susie, I don't know how you keep smiling -- presuming you are. One day you will look back on all of this and think How did we do it?

I do hope Drew can start at his new school. It would be a little hard to be the new kid arriving a month late. Oh well, kids are resilient about that stuff.

Good luck.

PS -- aren't you just sick and tired of this rainy humid weather? I'm glad I didn't rent a place at the beach this year.

• jessyf
    14 years ago

holding my breath and sending best wishes ack

• goldgirl
    14 years ago

Susie - I've been away on vacation and had to read the title of this thread twice because I thought my eyes were deceiving me. You are one strong lady! Can't wait 'till you're on the other side of this drama.

Sue