SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
turtlegreen

Tieing in to existing hardwood flooring

turtlegreen
15 years ago

I'm purchasing a house that has hardwood flooring in the kitchen. The hardwood fooring ends in the doorway to the dining room, which is carpeted. In the doorway there's a hardwood plank that runs from jamb to jamb and is perpendicular to the planks that run into the kitchnen.

The carpet is shot in the dining room and I'm going to replace it with a hardwood flooring that will hopefully match what's in the kitchen. I'm planning on using prefinished solid hardwood flooring.

My question is, what's the best way to tie the new hardwood planks into the existing? I'm hoping that the existing hardwood plank in the doorway has a grooved edge facing into the dining room. Then, it seems, I can just butt the tongue portions of the new wood into that. Or vice versa (existing plank has a tongue and I can butt the grooved end of the new into that). But what if the plank doesn't have a groove or tongue? What's the best method then?

Also, I'm planning on having the existing wood sanded and refinished. Will this pose a problem in the transition area with the sanded wood being slightly lower than the new wood? Or will it be imperceptible?

Thanks for you help.

Comments (2)