SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ren_xiety

How big a deal to make over minor ripples in hardwood floor

Ren-xiety
9 years ago

Hello everyone,

Long-time lurker needing to vent a little.

We are in the final stages of our kitchen renovation project. We decided to extend our existing red oak hardwood floors into the kitchen, breakfast room, and powder room to match the hardwood on the rest of the main floor (23-year-old pre-finished gunstock-stained .75 inch solid Bruce hardwood). The flooring contractor is a small, family owned company that had very high rating among many reviewers in our local version of Consumer Reports called Checkbook Magazine. I even contacted one of the Checkbook reviewers and got a personal recommendation.

This contractor weaved in matching hardwood between the family room and breakfast room a few weeks ago, about halfway through the project. They then came back last week, basically at the end of the project, to finish the new wood and refinish the old wood to match, using Golden Oak stain and three coats of oil-based poly (two semi gloss for hardness, followed by a top coat of stain finish).

We have been staying in a hotel for five days already (my adult kids mostly stayed in the house and tolerated the chemical smells by opening their windows).

The back half of the house is done, and they are putting the final coat on from half today. There are some minor issues and inconsistencies in the surface and edges that we understand are to be expected when finishing hardwood in place. The transition between the old and new wood is extremely well done and matched so that it is impossible to detect unless you know where to look, and even then the only clue is several boards that end in the same place.

However, there are also ripples running perpendicular to the hardwood (across the width of the boards/room). They are basically everywhere, but are pretty faint and can only be seen in spots where bright light reflects and glares off of the poly surface, especially if looking across the room from a low angle.

From a little online research, I believe these to be chatter marks caused by issues with the sander machine.

The owner has not yet seen these, since it was his cousins crew, not his crew, that did most of our job. Over the phone he said it is impossible to eliminate all traces of the machine when refinishing floors and that with furniture and time, we would notice it less. He is coming by for a first-hand look this afternoon.

I believe if I press the issue, they would redo the job to save their reputation. We still owe them several thousand dollars, since we only paid half up front.

In favor of a redo, I worry the ripples will continue annoy me or that some potential buyer will notice the ripples when we go to sell the house in 5-7 years. On the other hand, the finish is wonderful and floors are actually stunning as-is. As a matter of fact, the imperfections, including the ripples actually create an interesting depth effect and authenticity to the wood that screams that they were hand crafted (maybe this is a hint of the effect of distressed or hand-scraped hardwood has). Also, my family will kill me if they have to endure a week-long do over.

What to do, what to do ...

Comments (20)