SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tipoftheislandgirl

You can smell my oil furnace suddenly!? :(

tipoftheislandgirl
17 years ago

This is the first time I have lived in a place that you can not tell I have an oil furnace for heat.

ALMOST every time my furnace has turned for the last 3 weeks, you can smell the burnt oil smell when the blower kicks in. We had started reno's in the house and we were turning off the digital thermostat during the day. At this time, we had noticed the furnace still kicking in at times. My husband then started turning off the emergency shut off and turning it back on at night. Guess what? After this the smell started!!! It doesn't always smell though??? I have tried multiple ways to shut down the house like: turn thermostat down first below room temp, letting the furnace completely turn itself off and then flicking the switch and then making sure that when I turned it back on the thermostat was turned down lower that room temp. so that if the furnace was flooding itself it didn't have a chance too. The smell is becoming more frequent.

As a migraine sufferer, this smell will trigger a migraine for me! :(

Please tell me whether we are creating this problem by using the emergency shutoff or if our furnace needs some TLC to make it all better. :D

Thank you kindly for your help.

Wendy

Comments (23)