SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grasswhisperer

Oil boiler - smell oil when low outside temps?

grasswhisperer
9 years ago

Hi folks -

Moved into a house over the summer here in MA. Burnham boiler with a Carlin oil burner.

With the winter weather now, we've noticed that sometimes - sometimes - we smell oil (not exhaust, but oil). The boiler is in an unfinished room in the basement - the smell seems to accumulate badly sometimes in this room (we usually leave the door open) - and the smell is also evidence elsewhere throughout the finished basement and mostly accumulates near the top of the stairs into the living space of the first floor of house. Although the smell is not exhaust, I will add that our exhaust is power-vented (no chimney flue near the boiler, although we do have a fireplace chimney in the house). The power vent does a pretty good if not excellent job of pumping the exhaust out of the house.

We don't notice the fresh oil smell all the time. In fact - most days we don't smell it at all. We've got tankless hot water and on warm days when the boiler fires for hot water we don't smell at all - nothing.

In short - I think I'm realizing that the colder the outside temperature - typically at night - the stronger the smell. Could also be affected by external air flow (breezy/windy weather) moving against the house - creating drafts?

The smell is NOT exhaust - it's fresh oil.

Just trying to put in details in hopes of help diagnosing. Happy to provide more details if that helps.

I should add - the boiler was serviced recently since our ownership - and we know it was serviced annually - it's 13 years old.

I'm hoping that the fact that it doesn't smell all the time - seemingly only when colder out - will help to narrow down what might be causing it...

Any insight on where to begin - most appreciated -

Thanks!
Brad in MA.

This post was edited by grasswhisperer on Fri, Dec 19, 14 at 22:30

Comments (14)