SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
runninginplace

Anatomy of a Bore (LONG)

runninginplace
14 years ago

Just musing I guess...last week I went on our annual beach getaway, to Captiva island. Took, as usual, my teenage daughter and her BFF. We've known the BFF and family for many years; this year is a very tough time for them. The dad is an alcoholic and the couple finally legally separated this week. Telling this to set frame of reference for my point, and I do have one I promise.

I look forward all year to this trip; it is a time for total relaxation for me in which I don't have to do a thing but read, lounge on the beach and have nice dinners out daily. Don't have to deal with work issues, household chores etc. In other words, paradise for a typical middle aged working mom :). So, this year I invited BFF's mom who is a family friend to come down for the last couple of days. The mediation aka iron-out-legalities meeting was midweek. Knowing how rough things have been, I invited her to visit the beach house so she drove down the next day and was with us the last 2 days of the trip.

Well, my peaceful vacation ended as soon as she pulled into the driveway. B is a talker which I did know; she has always been a motormouth and I always ascribed it to the fact she lived on an isolated island with her 2 daughters for 10+ years. The couple were both nat'l park rangers (she 'retired' when the kids were born) and lived in park housing on a barrier island off Miami. So, I just figured she needed to have some adult conversation back then. However they moved back to the mainland to a normal suburban area a couple of years ago, close to a large extended family in fact, but B is still a big, big, BIG talker. I mean, the kind of person who quite literally does not stop talking to let the other person respond, comment or ask a question.

I suppose because we spent a longer time together, this time what I noticed is that the talk is not only unilateral but so unbelievably boring! What she does is tell these interminable stories about things that really have no point and the stories wander into tangents and the tangents have tangents that go on and on and on and on. It was extremely tough to be around, for me at least. For example, she would start a story about, say, her daughter's music teacher. That would morph into a long side ramble about how the teacher's daughter married a noted musician-next long ramble about the musician's professional history, where he played, what kind of music, how he got to Charleston to meet the music teacher's daughter, then a digression about how nice the teacher was, then something endless about where the daughter went to college....and so on. Mind you, we aren't talking about a musical prodigy. This is a typical kid taking violin lessons once weekly. I've never met the teacher. I never will. I don't have any interest in music lessons. I've never heard of the music teacher's new son-in-law. You get the picture.

My point and question is, how does someone get to be like this?! Does she not realize it is boring? Does she think people are enthralled to sit quietly, not getting a chance to interject a word, while she talks quite literally non stop? I know I can usually sense when someone I'm talking to is drifting off. Maybe it's an interpersonal skills issue? Does she (and other bores) not pick up on that kind of nonverbal clue? I timed her once just to have something to do and she went on for 14 minutes before she stopped talking. Try that sometime-*14* minutes of no back and forth, just one person talking. And she only quit talking to me because her cell phone rang; she then talked to (at) someone in her extended family for another 40 minutes.

And I do realize I brought it on myself! Believe me, I realized that pretty quickly after B arrived :). Lesson learned: from now on that beach getaway is sacrosanct and I will not be inviting anyone else over no matter what...maybe I'm just venting because I caused my own problem.

Still. Anybody know anyone like this? What can you possibly do? I eventually ended up either just excusing myself, and half the time I had to interrupt her to mutter an excuse me, or sitting trying desperately to shut out the endless drone. The only other thing that alleviated the stream of consciousness rambling was jumping in with specific targeted questions to try to keep her on some kind of track. Even then we never had any dialogue, just a slightly less eye-glazingly boring monologue. Really, she is a nice enough person and I know her life is pretty bleak at the moment. But wow.

Ann

Comments (17)