SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Teenage 'nervous stomach' problems

Sueb20
13 years ago

I have to believe that this isn't an uncommon problem, so I'm seeking advice... My second DS will be 15 soon and will be entering high school this fall. He used to be really shy, has come out of his shell a lot in the last 5 years or so, but still is a little on the quiet side and also happens to be a really, really great kid in all respects. This year has been a little stressful in our house w/ older DS applying to colleges, etc., and also this DS #2 on his way to high school. Nothing too crazy, though! But we have noticed that he had quite a few stomach issues over the course of the school year. Sometimes it seemed to be out of the blue -- he'd just have a random stomach ache that would pass. Other times it seemed like it could be stress related but he would always deny it. For instance, he was supposed to audition for a music festival and he woke up "sick" that morning and couldn't go to the audition. We questioned whether it was nerves, but he denied it, and he continued to feel sick for a day or two after that, so we figured okay, maybe it was a "real" illness. This summer so far he's been fine, except for feeling nauseous when we were in the airport about to fly home from a trip in June -- again, could be nerves, he doesn't love to fly, but he was fine when we were flying out there. Anyway, this weekend he is leaving for a two-week soccer camp. It's not far, only about an hour from home. He wanted to go to the camp even though it's new to him and he won't know anyone there. (However, even though he is on the quiet side, he does make friends easily so I have no doubt that he'll make friends there.) So, two days ago he went to hang out with some friends and called me about 1/2 hour later asking me to pick him up because he felt sick. I picked him up, he was bent over on a bench outside, but hadn't vomited and did not vomit when he got home (he never does -- he just says he feels like he's going to) but just laid low for the rest of the day. That was Monday. Yesterday, he seemed fine. Then last night around 2 am we heard him run to the bathroom. He ended up sitting in there for over an hour, convinced he was going to throw up. Now, I also have to mention that he has a total PHOBIA about vomiting -- if anyone in our family ever vomits, he has to go to the opposite end of the house. When he was younger, he'd even run outside. That has been his only weird personality quirk until recently! So he's in the bathroom actually trembling and crying over feeling like he's going to throw up and not wanting to go back to bed because he's afraid he'll be sick. Finally, he went to bed, woke up this morning feeling "all right" but laying low again.

We talked about whether he was worried about camp and last night he said "Maybe... maybe because I've only been to overnight camp once before" (where he had a great time, by the way). This morning we talked some more and I said I noticed there might be a pattern of these stomach issues when he's nervous -- he didn't argue with me but also didn't totally agree. I asked if there was something specific he's worried about and he said not really. I explained that I think he gets nervous, which makes him have a stomach ache, and then he gets even more nervous about the idea of vomiting, so it's a really tricky domino effect and we need to figure a way to avoid this. He isn't saying he doesn't want to go to camp, and frankly, even if he did, I'd push him to go because I think he's going to love it and it's too late to get our money back! But I'm just wondering if this is a typical teenage issue that will resolve itself... I did tell him that after camp, we will make a doctor's appt. and talk to the doctor about how to handle all of this. But in the meantime, I don't want the poor kid to end up with an ulcer or something before he's 16.

Any thoughts? Any OTC medications I can give him as a preventative measure?

Comments (30)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor