SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scott_nc

gas vs. heat pump - replacing unit

scott_nc
15 years ago

I am debating replacing my heating and cooling system. I have a 1,500 square foot ranch house in Charlotte, NC. The house is 6 years old and its well built and insulated well.

I have a 2 1/2 ton Bryant air conditioner and a gas forced air blower in the attic. Its a 10 SEER unit. There has been a leak in the condensor coil and I've had to have the unit serviced 2-3 x a year since I had the house built and I've been told some oil has leaked from the compressor, which will cause the compressor to fail within a few years. In the summer the unit runs from 7am to afer midnight and it never shuts off. I keep the thermastat on 73-74 degrees when its in the mid 90's it won't keep the house 74 degrees.

I've heard heat pumps are more efficient and the new heat pumps are warm. I like the house around 68 degrees in the winter. I had an apartment 7 years ago with an old heat pump unit and it always felt cold. I do not want that now.

So, if I'm going to replace my unit does anyone have suggestions whether I should go with a heatpump, ac/gas furnace(what I have), hybrid heat pump/gas blower etc... The winters in Charlotte are mild and the house is relatively small.

I believe my electic is .0961 cents per KWH.

Gas is 1.455 per therm.

Friends of mine have larger houses with heat pumps and they keep their house warmer than mine and its comfortable heat and they pay less than I do.

Along with any recommendations for what type of HVAC sytem can you also provide your options on what brand of unit.

Thank you for any suggestions or recommendations.

Scott_nc

Comments (11)