SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shannon01_gw

how to place tile when room takes a turn

Shannon01
16 years ago

I hope you can see what I am dealing with. My entryway floor is the laminate surface in the picture. The hallway turns, with surface becoming carpet, heading towards that doorway in foreground. The main entrance is on the far left of the pic

Ok, we are going to remove the carpet and laminate and replace it with tile in the entire entryway. To the left of that room in foreground is the garage doorway. Carpet in that half of hall was not good idea on part of original owner as it is main traffic area.

In laying the tile pattern we are really having a problem. I hope you can see how the floor takes a turn, not a 90, not a 45. So if we try to do the tile starting at one end, the direction of the pattern changes once you make the turn.

We originally planned on doing laminate in the entire area but faced similar problem. But where the turn occurred we could at least do a transition strip so the pattern change would not have been horrible. We opted to not do the laminate because the rest of the downstairs will be laminate and I thought that would be way too much. Doing tile will designate that area as a separate one.

I cannot even imaging how to make the turn with tile. Any suggestions?

Comments (4)