SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluestarrgallery

Slate Floor - Layout Question - Pictures?

bluestarrgallery
16 years ago

We are about to lay slate floor in our sunken living room. We have 16 x 16 slate tiles from India in multi color. Here is a picture of the slate laid out on our driveway while we are washing it off.

{{gwi:1473472}}

The room is 15 ft 6 inches by 13 feet. This means it is approximately 11.7 tiles deep and 9.75 tiles wide. We have two doorways/openings into the living room. One from the entry way is 4 foot and one to the kitchen is 4 foot. I was thinking of laying the slate so that full pieces of slate are laid on the walls where the two doorways are and the little over half a slate (about 9 inches) is on the two other walls. I think this would be better than having a quarter piece of slate all around the outer edge of the room. Of course we will lay the slate square - so that will have to be determined. If I lay it starting in the middle then I will have a quarter piece (about 4 inches) of slate all around the whole room. Here is a picture of the two openings I am standing in the entryway looking into the living room and you can see the doorway on the left that goes into the kitchen area.

{{gwi:1473473}}

What do you think? The two walls without the openings will have most of the furniture on them and will be less noticeable with the 9 inch piece of slate on that side.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments (8)