SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimberlyrkb

H.S. Graduation Open Houses

kimberlyrkb
11 years ago

I work with a woman who told me this week that she is attending 38 high school graduation open houses this month. 38!! And those are only the ones they're attending - they apparently received many more invitations than that, that they simply can't fit in. Her daughter is graduating this year, and apparently has a large social group.

Co-worker said she gives about $25 to each graduate. When I exclaimed about it being a lot of parties and a large financial outlay, she said these kids "have to invite everyone because that's how they get money for college!"

Really? Maybe I'm a Pollyanna, or maybe things have really changed in the 28 years since I graduated, but are kids really inviting everyone to their open houses to make money for college? Is that just common knowledge? And does anyone you know actually go to that many parties? Honestly, I can't believe it! My co-worker said every weekend the whole month of June is scheduled with these parties. As an introvert, it sounds like torture to me.

When I was in school, I was the one invited to my friends' open houses, not my parents, and they only attended the one given by my best friend or those for relatives.

Comments (30)