Lost Husband to Alzheimer's

marylmi

My husband passed away on Aug. 9th. and was buried on the 12th. Although I have that empty feeling and miss him so much, I would not want him back in that condition. He lost the ability to swallow and his body was stiffening up. It is just a dreadful disease but I know he is now free of it. Thankfully I set with him the night before and kept telling him that I loved him through the night. One time he opened his eyes and tried to make a sound and I hope he was trying to tell me the same thing. The next afternoon he passed away with lots of love and support around him. I am taking one day at a time and concentrating on the times we had before that terrible disease robbed him of his life.

Mary

SaveComment4Like
Comments (4)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mav63_2007

Mary, I am so very sorry for your loss. I know your DH was telling you how much he loves you and always will.
My husband lost an 18 month battle with cancer two and a half years ago and like you I love him and miss him so much but he suffered so much, I wouldn't have wished him one extra minute of what he was going through. A lot of us on this forum have been through the same thing and can identify with you. Hold on to the memories you have of the wonderful life you had together.
Mavis

Save    
sylviatexas1

I'm so sorry.

It sounds like you were lucky to have had each other.

As Mavis said, hold on to your memories of the *real* life you shared.

Save    
marylmi

Mavis and Sylviatexas...... We were married 33 years, but the last 4 were spent battling the disease. He had not been able to talk for over a year and since he was always joking and talking, it was very hard to see him like that. I hope they can find a cure soon for that as well as all the other diseases. I received a small glass votive holder with the inscription "In Memory Of" with his name on it and a votive candle in it. I thought that was the nicest gift from Hospice..

Save    
sylviatexas1

It's a horrible horrible disease.

You & he fought that battle together, & I'm glad he had you.

The candle does sound beautiful.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Home Tech All Is Not Lost: New Gadgets Help You Find Your Stuff
If you lose it when you lose things around the house (and who doesn't?), one of these wireless finders may be to your gain
Full Story
Feel-Good Home Slow Down: The (Lost) Art of Laziness
Do you go to bed with to-do lists flashing through your head? Try one of these ideas to give yourself a break
Full Story
Kitchen of the Week Kitchen of the Week: Coastal Kitchen Honors a Beloved Husband
This Southern California kitchen makeover includes a touching story of a couple who faced a much bigger challenge during their remodel
Full Story
Van Metre Homes is a homegrown builder with a reputation for blending the enduring traditions, quality and value... Read More
Our goal is to make a better and more pleasant atmosphere in the most functional parts of the home so our clients... Read More