SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yborgal

Presidential NY date

yborgal
14 years ago

Someone asked this question over on the Kitchen table Forum and I wondered what ya'll thought.

Given that the date cost taxpayers $81,000, do you approve of the outing? Or do you feel that because of the economy, it would have been better if they had less costly hometown date in DC?

Comments (90)

• love2decorate
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

That off the shoulder number and the entire look is the best I've ever seen on Mrs. Obama. She looks like she's standing up straight and knowing she looks good. Finally!!

• love2decorate
    14 years ago

"He's one of us", which us are you referring?

• Related Discussions

when to expect first ripe tomatoes in rockland county SE NY

Q

Comments (3)
    hi, "Crops planted A few days before and 2-3 weeks after really excel due to the extended daylight and heat. 1 day during Summer Solstice is like 4 days in early may" If I'm right your saying to plant later than may 15, wouldn't it make more sense to plant earlier so the plants root system is well established and has recovered from any shock before the magic days of the solstice? I understand that If I was planting in to the ground this would not make sense because cold soils would stunt the plant. however I have raised beds that are already at 45*near the bottom of the bed when the surrounding soil is still frozen. come may the soil should be a nice 55* or so and perfect for planting in to. I'm just wondering if I could get an earlier harvest than the middle of july because I saw some past post's of people in Colorado (z4 & z5) were harvesting tomatoes around the 4th of july withvarieties that have longer DTM than mine. thanks for the help so far.
    ...See More

WANTED: 3rd annual wny plant swap at garden_frog's (albion, ny)

Q

Comments (33)
    I'm so excited to see so many people can attend! And so relieved Husky was able to chage her flight!!! (Even if she did mess up my name!!!) :) It's great to have all our repeat atendees as well as some new faces!! Let's do Sunday since a few people prefer that day...so it'll be June 4th then! Anyone have a preference on time? Maybe 11am? Let me know if that's ok for everyone or if people prefer a later time. I started some major garden renovations this weekend, so we may still be under construction when you all get here. I'm hoping to have them finished by then though!! We'll ready for plants at least!! :) Magicman and deprived wife and any other newcomers, if you have any other questions, feel free to keep posting them here or email me (or any of us who have attended previously) and we'll be happy to help you out. I'm going to start a new thread where you can post what you have and what you want. I would also strongly suggest listing it under your garden_web trade list as well! Looking forward to seeing you all in June!!
    ...See More

Central NY Plant Swap, June 21

Q

Comments (20)
    Hi everyone What a great day for a swap. We really lucked out with the nice weather. Thanks for all the trades. I'll be trying some new things. Thanks Laurel for the fern leaf bleeding heart and the food. You may want to put the hosta and forsythia in some water until you get them planted just to keep them from wilting- they should be okay in water for a day. For those of you who are trying to remember what those things were in the styrofoam or paper cups- they were lobelia cardinalis-red, spikey, humming bird like them, they prefer a moister rather than drier area. Thanks for the plants everyone. Hope you enjoy the trades. Did some geocaching on the way home.
    ...See More

Feedback on Certainteed Presidential shingles

Q

Comments (2)
    an awful lot of ny neighbors have it and they seem to be fine.
    ...See More
  • graywings123
    14 years ago

"He's one of us", which us are you referring?

Catholics in 1960, blacks in 2009.

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

Yep, that draping de-accentuates her waist, gives her a longer line -- don't know if she chose it or was advised on it but it WORKS. Those are pure examples of how certain clothes work and don't work on the same body.

And re "one of us": well, if folks are really wanting specifics, I'll step right out and add: someone who worked hard and excelled in the Ivy League, NOT someone who got legacied in, coasted through the bare minimums with a gentleman's C and was an embarrassment to his classmates and irritation to his professors (and yes, I know JFK got legacied in, BUT he hardly coasted). Someone who isn't afraid to be and to recruit "the best and the brightest".

• love2decorate
    14 years ago

"America feels like he's one of us", I still don't understand what that means. That he's black? Educated? So far he hasn't done anything that makes him a special American. On the contrary, he's done plenty to bring us embarrassment. Yes George embarrassed us also. They both have that knack but in a different way. So what exactly makes him (the prez) a "special American?" What does does George Bush have to do with BO? Why is it every time someone asks a question about Obama they receive an insult about George Bush. Doesn't seem like much of a compliment to Obama if that's the only way someone can make him look good. Does it?

BTW, I wasn't "one of them" in the Bush administration and I'm surely not "one of them" in the Obama administration. They are politicians and thankfully I'll never be "one of them" or "like them." Spending thousands of dollars on entertainment is something I cannot relate to no matter who does it.

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

That's not a specifically-Bush insult, love2. It's just fact wrt why I feel he's "one of us", as I define "us". I knew plenty of legacy, or as Erich Segal put it, "rich and stupid" kids in the Ivy Leagues. I love that a "smart and poor" one made it into the big leagues of international power, which are usually reserved in this country for the moneyed oligarchy. Or actually, that *two* smart and poor ones did--I include Michelle.

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

"He's one of us", which us are you referring?"

Obama has been described as an 'everyman'. He's black! He's white! He's rich.** He grew up poor. He's Harvard educated. He enjoys sports and hot dogs. He wears suits. He wears Nikes and T-shirts. Same with Michelle.

** (Their 2007 tax return showed a household income of $4.2 million. Michele had to chuck her $212,000/yr plus perks job, to assume the role of First Lady just like Hilary had too.)

They are young and that alone is a refreshing change. Michelle has focused on causes that concern and will have an impact on the average Americans. Organic gardening. Tree planting and conservation. Battered woman's shelters. Poetry slams and cultural events that typical Americans can relate to. Americore. Educating and investing in our young people. The O's hosted the first ever Passover Seder at the White House and have hosted other "firsts" multi-cultural events.

What other First Lady would have made an appearance in silver Tennis shoes and argyle? And really get more involved than just 'ribbon cutting'? Here below she looks just like anyone in the neighborhood, or that you would know from work or church or PTA. People can relate. Mother. Wife. Career woman. Community volunteer. Everywoman.

{{gwi:1512667}}

{{gwi:1512668}}

{{gwi:1512669}}

All this accomplished without even smudging her mascara. :)

{{gwi:1512670}}

• kkay_md
    14 years ago

"One of us" resonates with me. I live in Washington DC and one night at my book group, one of our members (her daughter was on Sasha's basketball team) passed around her cell phone with a photo on it. It showed the President and First Lady at one of their daughter's basketball games. Michelle sitting on the gym floor in sweats, with her shoes off. The President was sitting on the floor next to her, cheering happily, dressed in a t-shirt and jeans.

It was delightful to see them enjoying the same simple things that I might, like regular citizens. They are attempting to maintain a normal family life and a loving marriage, no easy task under the circumstances. Without comparing them to anyone else--Bush or the Kennedys--they are impressive, smart, vital, interesting people. I'm happy that they represent us in the world. I don't begrudge them an evening out in NY.

• graywings123
    14 years ago

"America feels like he's one of us", I still don't understand what that means.

Love2decorate - it doesn't make sense to you because you are trying to analyze a snippet of what I wrote:

[Noting the excitement over Kennedy and Obama] first Catholic/first black President bringing out an enthusiasm from a sector of America who feels for the first time that the President is "one of us."

There are hundred of thousands if not millions of black Americans who are overjoyed to see a black man as President. They never believed it could happen. Catholics felt the same way back in the 1960s.

• User
    14 years ago

I love the Obamas, and quite frankly, couldn't care less if someone else finds him/them an embarrassment and expresses disdain for him/them. I find it so incredibly wonderful to be able to say, finally -- finally! -- that we have a first family in the White House that make me think positive thoughts and bring to mind the ideals of dignity, honor, and respect. Any of you are certainly free to express your disappointment, dislike, and disapproval, but you're not gonna rain on my parade, because I'm still celebrating the Obama victory, and I intend to continue doing so.

• natal
    14 years ago

I agree AJ! After the past 8 years it's refreshing to once again feel pride in being an American!

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

Posted by love2decorat: "That off the shoulder number and the entire look is the best I've ever seen on Mrs. Obama."

That top was made especially for her from the Basso and Brooke couture line - silk and hand beaded. And just like that horrid red/black thing she wore to the presidential win announcement, it is a couture item modified to the client. The red/black dress did not translate well for her. This one does.

I'm sure that in no time that a cheaper version will come out at Target or someplace that is polyester and with a printed design.

This is what the couture version of Michelle's election win dress looked like:

It 'works' because of the sheer lace skirt and delicate neckline. The 'client version' bombed.

If you follow fashion, you can see a lot of the Mrs O's dresses are restyle couture versions made for her. Most of them DO NOT work for her figure unfortunately.

--------------

Besides keeping up with assigned duties, the O's find time to spend in the community during what would be their personal 'down time' that they could have frittered away.

"President and First Lady were out on the town again this afternoon, making a surprise visit to Capital City Public Charter School in Washington, DC. According to a report in The Washington Post, the President and First Lady read the picture book "The Moon Over Star" to a group of second grade students in the school library. President Mr. O told a reporter at the school, "We were just tired of being in the White House"."

-------------------------

Fostering respect for the earth and our bodies:

{{gwi:1512673}}

Energy efficient home being built by a youth and community development program:

{{gwi:1512674}}

Investing in our future:

{{gwi:1512675}}

Working with Native American representatives with a goal towards conservation of our resources and economic stimulation and jobs support:

{{gwi:1512676}}

• johnmari
    14 years ago

He was also royally reamed for taking the kids back to Chicago for a 3-day weekend in February to see their friends and their grandma since they were having kind of a tough time adapting to the move... I've also read people b*tching that he occasionally takes time to go watch his kids' soccer and basketball games. Me, I gotta give some props to a man who keeps his promise to his wife even with all the insanity he's had to endure in his first 4 months as president. He could have so easily blown her off again and again with "sorry honey, this just isn't a good time for me to leave the White House even for just a few hours" instead of taking care of his family life, which should help keep him on a more even keel for work. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if he was on that BlackBerry or reading memos and briefings through the entire plane ride up and back, and I can pretty much guarantee that had it been necessary he would have switched from Husband mode to President mode in a split second and he'd have been back on a plane to DC so fast his head would spin.

It's not like they can go hop a JetBlue shuttle flight, rent an econobox car or take the subway around NYC all by themselves. It's a completely different universe for POTUS and family than it is for us peons - they're now international targets, not ordinary people. The whole family now have bullseyes on their backs, even the little girls.

"For some reason the cost of the NY evening would have bothered me less if it had been for a 3-5 day trip."

The cost would have been SIGNIFICANTLY higher. The President and First Lady can't exactly go grab a room at the Holiday Inn. Entire floors of hotels with high-security amenities like bulletproof windows and panic rooms (which are invariably the very high end hotels) are booked, hotel staff vetted and supervised, and even more security personnel brought along in order to keep him safe.

Remember that Pres. Obama has not redecorated the Oval Office (one of the first things most new presidents do at taxpayer expense, usually costing hundreds of thousands... did you know Bush's custom cream carpet in the Oval Office cost $60k?) except for trading out some things the White House already owned. The Obamas refused the publicly funded allowance to redecorate the private apartment. None of the other public areas are on the slate for redecorating. Obama also nixed the order for the new helicopter fleet to replace Marine One and its mandatory companions (for staff and decoy purposes), to the tune of $11 billion, since the current 'copters still work fine. Michelle actually works hard on the government's behalf for no taxpayer money - it's the First Lady's job to do things like entertain the spouses of world leaders (which has got to be borrrrrring sometimes), take charge of state dinners and other entertainments, travel and speechify in support of the US government, and all sorts of other annoying things.

Corrections to above posts: Out of 2920 days in office, Bush spent 977 days at either the Crawford ranch or Camp David (not counting trips to Camp David with other nations' leaders or days off during other trips). That's just a hair over 1/3 of his time in office, not "more vacation days than he worked". Still, it's more than any other POTUS in history.

I would expect that the family already does the "rent a movie and stay home" evenings, and expecting him to wait 7 years to take his wife out for a few hours to themselves (which it really wasn't, since every single movement was supervised and scrutinized by security and the press) is just absurd.

• goldgirl
    14 years ago

I'm not affiliated with a party and have voted both ways. I don't agree with some of Obama's decisions, just as I didn't agree with other presidents.

But, I have respect for anyone who is willing to take on this job and would hope that they "have a life" by doing things they enjoy with their spouse. I just don't think going to NYC for a night is a big deal.

I also really enjoy Mrs. Obama and feel that she's a wonderful role model, even for us 40-somethings. I look at her and thing, dang, I need to get into better shape! And as several folks have mentioned, the fact that she had a career makes me able to relate to her like no other First Lady.

• jay06
    14 years ago

johnmari, I didn't say the Obamas should wait seven years to have "a few hours to themselves." I said he should avoid these type of date nights--a few hours that cost the taxpayers a huge amount of money. I think they could survive seven years without flying to another city to see a two-hour play, and then flying home. I certainly have. That's not an "absurd" expectation.

And I reiterate--I'm a huge Obama supporter. I also have a good sense of what's really important and what's not when spending taxpayers' money.

• folkvictorian
    14 years ago

The New York Times estimated it to be more like $250,000 when all of the additional security and traffic control and all other costs were factored in.

No matter whose side anyone is on, it's a preposterous amount of money to spend when the bill is being paid by everyone -- from the guy or gal who changed your oil today at SpeedyLube, right on up the ladder to the guy or gal who owns the oil company.

• love2decorate
    14 years ago

graywings, I apologize, I wasn't picking your post apart. Sorry.

When I hear people make broad statements like that I find it insulting to me because I'm not one of them and they are not one of me. They are accomplished people, I give them that. They have 2 adorable girls also. It's not nice that they want to try to prove to the world they are better than any other first family before them. That's insulting and doesn't serve them well. Judging by the harsh criticism by the muslim nations today, I'd say their kissing up is only making us look more and more stupid.

They are accomplished, in love, famous and educated. They need to stop insulting others to make their points. They also need to start talking and acting like they love this country instead of at every turn telling the world how sorry they are for our "mistakes" and how they will right all the wrongs. Even the muslims today said it was all talk and the deep seeded hatred for us will not change just because Obama says it will.

At every turn Mrs. Obama is telling everyone how she understands their feelings about inequality in this country. What the heck, she's the first lady. Doesn't she know that yet. She can show empathy and sympathy for others without tearing down this country.

If you just stop and listen all they are saying is "we don't like this America so we are going to change into one we do like." Problem with that is, not everyone thinks this America, with all its' flaws, is as bad as they make it out to be.

• DLM2000-GW
    14 years ago

dilly you are WAY more in touch than I with the fashion end of things but I gotta tell ya.... IMO that red/black number is just as uuuuugly in the couture version as it was in the client version! ;-) That's a fashion statement that just isn't speaking to me at all and it doesn't matter what the language is! I always love seeing what our first lady is wearing and most of the time I love her choices.

kkay I couldn't agree with you more - well said.
    "Without comparing them to anyone else--Bush or the Kennedys--they are impressive, smart, vital, interesting people. I'm happy that they represent us in the world."

• terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

It's not nice that they want to try to prove to the world they are better than any other first family before them.

Huh????

• debbimc
    14 years ago

Dilly..I am impressed with your knowledge-WOW
    Love2Decorate...I respectfully disagree with you. I see the willingness to give your & your familys life for 4 years to serving this country in the role of president & first family as a complete expression of respect & love for country. I think we all realize that this president's life is at risk every moment--THEY REalize that & are willing to serve America. I am a patriotic citizen but I understand that we have not always been right--it is not okay for us to think that either. Change is hard but this country is CHANGING & it is happening quickly. The world is changing & we need to be there.......OMG sorry....

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

Posted by dlm2000: "dilly you are WAY more in touch than I with the fashion end of things but I gotta tell ya....[snip] ... I always love seeing what our first lady is wearing and most of the time I love her choices."

I love fashion. I can't afford it, so I guess I become fascinated with the art involved in the creations. I was never a 'royal watcher' but I did make a point to try to catch all the designer creations that Diana wore.

I love the fresh casual styles Michelle wears. The JCrew stuff works for her. She has had some dazzling evening gowns that she has appeared in too. Somehow though couture does not convert well for her figure type. Those models are slim hipped with long calves and Mrs O is just the opposite. Couture converts well for movie and rock stars because the couture does not have to be redesigned greatly for their body type.

Here is another example of a Lanvin couture dress that looked just awful in the 'client version'. This version done for her had a narrowed knee length hemline, making her legs look like milk bottles, and those dots went in every direction emphasizing tummy pouch, rather than the dots appearing in a grid-like pattern like they do on the 90lb model. I blame the designers. They should have told her "No. I can't make this number work for you no matter how hard I try."

{{gwi:1512677}}

In other words, do not choose a hot trendy young designer and expect him to convolute his creations into something fabulous for a middle aged woman.

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

dilly, love these posts! One correction: Michelle will never look like everywoman, she'll look like everyWNBAwoman :) (I'm 5'2" so I can say that LOL)

I'm also wanting to say that her technique with a rake is a *bit* unconvincing...game of her to try, but when I see her in whatever little gardening getup she has on, trying to work a huge gardening implement, why do I keep hearing "I get allergic smelling hay" ;)

• DLM2000-GW
    14 years ago

fly - LOL!!! "I get allergic smelling hay" ;) Great catch! And I'm right there with ya on the WNBA thing - my 5'2" frame can't carry off those looks even though my proportions are evenly distributed - if I could stick 4 or 5" under my rib cage, maybe!

• User
    14 years ago

If you just stop and listen all they are saying is "we don't like this America so we are going to change into one we do like." Problem with that is, not everyone thinks this America, with all its' flaws, is as bad as they make it out to be.

And many of us do think that it's "that bad" and desperately needs to be changed.

• kellyeng
    14 years ago

I love the Obamas, and quite frankly, couldn't care less if someone else finds him/them an embarrassment and expresses disdain for him/them. I find it so incredibly wonderful to be able to say, finally -- finally! -- that we have a first family in the White House that make me think positive thoughts and bring to mind the ideals of dignity, honor, and respect. Any of you are certainly free to express your disappointment, dislike, and disapproval, but you're not gonna rain on my parade, because I'm still celebrating the Obama victory, and I intend to continue doing so.

AND

And many of us do think that it's "that bad" and desperately needs to be changed.

Auntjen, you are on a roll! So happy to see comments that are identical to own feelings.

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

OH yeah, auntjen, you're right, it's 'that bad'. What really galls me is that people seem to confuse paying our huge national credit card bill that the previous "administration" ran up with actually spending the money. It's an overdue credit bill, folks, and we've been ignoring our mail for about 7 years. Obama's just opening it and seeing the damage on the statement.

• kgwlisa
    14 years ago

Just because you acknowledge that this country is not perfect does not mean that you don't love this country or are less patriotic. That attitude is a legacy of the previous administration - either you wave a flag and do what I say or you're not a patriot. That was the Us vs. Them mentality that ripped this country to shreds and alienated the rest of the damn world. Being able to take a good honest look at this country and what has gone wrong comes from a place of LOVE for the ideals of this great country, and trying to fix it in the face of tremendous obstacles takes courage. IMO it's not about "like" or "dislike"... it's about how far we strayed from the IDEALS that our country was founded upon. It's awfully hard to be on the moral high ground when you are doing things worse than your enemy.

• User
    14 years ago

Very well said, Lisa. Thank you.

• kgwlisa
    14 years ago

Oh and I don't give a crap that the president went on a date. If you sat down and figured it out, it probably costs thousands of dollars if not tens of thousands of dollars if the president decides he needs to take a whiz at a public speaking event rather than hold it until he goes back to the white house. The reality is that we live in a world where there are crazy people so consumed with hate that they want to take the life of someone who they disagree with, or who has powers they do not, or has darker skin than they do. I do not blame the Obamas for wanting a date night somewhere outside of DC, I blame the crazy people in the world who make extreme security measures necessary for the cost of the date. As was pointed out, the Obamas have already been more frugal than any other president in recent history. IMO this whole nonsense about how much this "date" costs is just political opponents of President Obama stirring the pot and much ado about nothing.

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

Thanks flyleft! The thread was turning a little too 'hot topics' so I was trying to lighten it up with some frivolous girl stuff.

Here we have good example of a couture design that did not have to be altered but rather only needed tailoring to the pattern before it was sewn. When you take a design like the red dress above or the red/black election win dress, and have to lower the hemline and raise the neckline, you have a whole 'nother dress and it is going to look terrible. The problem with the election win dress was that the red in the couture version was an allusion to a Victorian corset. In the client version the red looked like a barista apron. It was a completely different dress.

This lovely dress already had a decent hemline and high neck. The princess seams work for any figure type, boyish or curvy. An excellent choice!

{{gwi:1512681}}

This bottom image is the 'ready to wear cut' of the couture dress that went down the runway. Popular designs make it to limited, mass manufacture to be sold at high end boutiques. There is a different between what is know as the 'model' cut to a dress (sometime referred to as the 'hanger cut') and the RTW or celebrity cut to a dress.

-------------

"I get allergic smelling hay." ROTFL. I did get that same impression that these were somewhat more of a photo op than candid. There was a recently broadcast 6/3-4/09 tour of The White House hosted by Michelle, and as they were strolling down the promenade she was asked about the new plantings. She stammered and mumbled something like "I don't know. They planted them." She didn't sound too involved with the new garden.

• maddielee
    14 years ago

kgwlisa wrote: "IMO this whole nonsense about how much this "date" costs is just political opponents of President Obama stirring the pot and much ado about nothing."

Exactly! Thank you.

ML

• natal
    14 years ago

I'm waiting for someone to complain about Michelle and the girls joining the President in France. ;)

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

I want my President and First Lady to get out and enjoy themself's once in a while. Don't we, on a smaller scale, of course we do.

Can you imagine what it would be like to be President, in this day and age with all these unbelievable problems, as he has to deal with. Hey, these are terrible economic times, no question about it. But geez, give the man a little slank to go out and rest his mind and enjoy, just a little.

I am a big fan of the Obama's thus far. And I must say they make a handsome couple and I am delighted.

I may not agree with everyone politically, but I do respect your opinions.

....Jane

High fiveing Aunt Jen and Johnmari!

• threedgrad
    14 years ago

Here's an outfit the first lady should get rid of. Or fire whoever picked this out for her.

{{gwi:1512683}}

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

Oh my stars. Yes, Eileen that one IS unfortunate. Reminds me of the "peasant skirt" I tried to make in 7th grade Home-Ec class. I couldn't resist all the trims at the fabric store. Mom indulged me, God bless her. Lessoned learned was be careful where you put the giant pom-pom fringe.

• yborgal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Maybe it's an apron?

• threedgrad
    14 years ago

And she has to stop wearing those belts. They do not help the look at all.

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

That looks like her "signature" style; cardigan, belt, broach. It also looks like she doubled up on the cardigans and is wearing one purple one with a yellow one over it.

Where is that photo taken from? It looks like something to wear to an Easter egg hunt And maybe it was? I remember the Easter Egg Roll this year and I remember the whole family wearing dark somber clothing. Hopefully this photo is from Easter at another event maybe at a school but I don't think so.

*I love the Obamas. I voted for them.

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

Ha. I found it! That outfit was worn to London not to the local gardening center.

"Media outlets, particularly those overseas, have been abuzz over Mrs. O's most recent ensemble, worn as the first lady left Westminster Abbey in Central London yesterday (6/9/09)..........Reviews have been a bit mixed as they usually are when the first lady makes a bold fashion move."

The article goes on to inform us that that is not a cheap plastic purple bracelet on her arm she is waving............It is a cheap plastic children's toy wristwatch. OMG.

The watch was featured on *Oprah's Favorite Things* in 2007.

Here she is wearing the same watch recently in France while on vacation. I like her outfit here in this one and the causal wrist wristwatch worn with it does not scream "I'm a crazy person!" like it does with the flower power outfit worn in London above.

Signature style worn on recent European trip; floppy cardigan and big fat belt:

The alligator, silver flatties are shiny and blinding in photos. There is a Chantilly lace petticoat hanging from the dress. Puffy pockerts on the side. I wanna cry:

• sable_ca
    14 years ago

What woman is not flattered by wearing a belt of big floppy orange poppies around her hips?

Westminster Abbey is one of the most somber, dignified, elegant and historic churches in the world. Not exactly a place for an 11-year old's party dress, unless it's on an 11-year old.

• robin_DC
    14 years ago

Apparently Mrs. Obama told the editor of Vogue that she loves belts and prefers to wear them with most outfits. I suspect that she wears belts because they accentuate her small waist; belts are usually flattering on hourglass shaped women for that reason. Wearing looser waistlines (or loose cardigans without a belt) would just make her look thick or heavier in the middle. I see the point that people are making about her being high waisted, but honestly I've never noticed that. Instead, I notice her small waist, just as her sleeveless and short sleeve dresses accentuate her toned arms. So I think belts are a good look.

And I am a big fan of both of the Obamas, and appreciate the remarks made upthread.

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

Those belts are like Hillary and her headbands. The belts she adds to an outfit ruin the designer's work. The Obamas are wealthy, and she can afford to have a dress custom fitted so that she doesn't need to hold it in with a belt.

Another belted cardigans from the European tour:

A designer can whip up a cute little number with a properly fitted cardigan if so requested. It is not a miracle:

No belt. No cardigan. Fabulous.

The original Kai Miller couture emerald gown was pleated and flowing in front. (I think I can find the photo again somewhere.) She ruined the look adding the black belt. The couture version of the gown was altered to give Michelle a more modest neckline, but she could have requested other changes instead of trying to "fix" whatever it was she did not like about the final version, with a black belt holding in the pleats:

That pinata tunic worn to Westminster Abby is the absolute worst. At least she didn't wear it with a floppy sun bonnet. Pairing it with an old tweed pair of pants from her lawyers days made it even worse. I'm going to take a wild guess here and guess that, that was made for her from the Anna Sui spring collection that I saw.

• sable_ca
    14 years ago

Dilly - I agree about that gorgeous magenta dress that M wore in Paris. Thought it was stunning when I saw her on the news, and think it's even more stunning in the still photo.

I don't get the cardigans *all the time*. I don't understand what would be wrong with a pretty structured jacket. It doesn't have to be a two-button notch-collar banker-thingie. Both Hillary Clinton and Laura Bush eventually learned to wear beautiful jackets, well-cut, with dressmaker details, in great colors, things that gave them femininity and also the gravitas suitable for a first lady.

• jones123_123
    14 years ago

She should also pay better attention to her hair styles. I like the hair when she wears it with the soft curls (green dress photo) or when pulled off from her face, behind the ears, but down. Pulled off her face, no bangs, up in a knot, looks way too severe and old for her. I think she hasn't found the right balance for her age. It appears she's dressing too young or too old for her age. I think the black and white dress (where she and Pres were going to a function), was very attractive on her and suited her well. It doesn't appear she's listening to anyone's style advice because if she was, she'd be more consistent with her "best" looks.

• CaroleOH
    14 years ago

Butt ugly is just butt ugly. I don't care if its an expensive designer original or something you found at TJMaxx's discount aisle.

And I have to say, a couple of those dresses - especially the one with the black bow and the flowering tunic are just ugly. Not cool, not trendy - just BAD!

I like probably 85% of what Michelle wears and don't have a problem with her cardigans and belts - its what makes it her own style.

I just think she should take a look in the mirror and if it looks ugly, it is and it doesn't matter how famous or how cool a designer is - don't wear it!

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

Why?!?!?!? Michelle cut her hair!

Why??? She has access to the top best hair dressers who would probably do her hair for free everyday just to get their name out there. The Obamas have the money to afford weekly/daily hair sessions for the First Lady. This shor cropped haircut makes her look so school marm-ish.

I remember when Hillary cut her longer hair as First Lady and wondered why she thought she had to look like every other First Lady. I did not think the shorter hair suited her at the time either. It suits her now that she is an older woman though.

Michelle's longer hair made her look much more vibrant and young. (Ignore that awful outfit with the ubiquitous cardigan and floppy bow she recently wore out to an event. Egads.)

Looking fabulous here with nice hair, and the perfect dress to compliment her husband's attire.

• mitchdesj
    14 years ago

some bloggers are saying it's a faux bob, was it cut or not ?
    I think it looks edgy on her , I love it and it shows off her face wonderfully.

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

I see that the Tribune is now saying it is just tucked under and pinned. It looks cut to me.

I thought it was 'edgy' to wear her hair long as First Lady, instead of the 'helmut hair' that past First Ladies wore.

I hope she did this because she wanted to, and not due to pressure to conform.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chicago Tribune Hair

• sable_ca
    14 years ago

Schoolmarm-ish? What is schoolmarm-ish? Is that a bad thing nowadays? I was a schoolmarm for 30 years and wore my hair natural, bleached, frosted, short, long, and in a French twist.

IMO Michelle is lovely with that short look. It highlights the beautiful bones of her face.

• mcmann
    14 years ago

dilly dally- Thanks for all the fashion photos. I really enjoy watching to see what the First Lady is wearing. It's a nice break from all the 'safe' pants suits that Mrs. Bush and Mrs. Clinton favored. I also like Mrs. Obama's more edgy approach - I just hope she (and her fashion aides) become more adept when she's abroad. Some of the outfits for her first introduction to the Queen were woefully underdressed.