SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Seaweed Smoothies, Anyone?

John Liu
13 years ago

This post is slightly tongue in cheek - but not really. In fact, I may be following my own advice.

As we know, three nuclear reactors on the East coast of Japan are in various stages of nuclear emergency. The buildings (secondary containment) are damaged, the primary containment is perhaps intact, the fuel rods are probably partly melted, the emergency injection of seawater may be cooling the cores sufficiently to avoid the situation from getting worse, or maybe not. I suspect that after the facility is flooded by a tsunami, and the buildings for reactors 1, 2 and 3 have blown up, the people and systems trying to control the situation might be just a little shaky?

And, as you may not know, potassium iodide (KI) tablets are sold out everywhere in the US. KI at a dose of 130mg for an adult is a recommended precaution for thyroid protection, prior to exposure to radiation from a nuclear plant meltdown and major radiation release. Not that (1) most of us live in Japan, or (2) that the reactors in question have actually melted down or breached primary containment, but (2) you never know what may happen and (1) there's the jetstream . . .

So, it turns out that seaweed or konbu (kelp) is high in iodine, which is equivalent to iodide as far as our thyroids are concerned. Levels vary, but 1 gram of konbu contains about 1000-2500 mcg (microgram) of iodine. I.e. if one can't get a 130 mg KI pill, one can eat 100 grams, about 3.5 ounces, of konbu.

Hmm. Anyone have a recipe for konbu smoothies?

(Oh - note that consuming excessive amounts of seaweed over a long time can lead to thyroid disorders. There is such a thing as too much iodine. But I'm talking about an emergency measure. Why else would one eat 3.5 ounces of seaweed, day after day? Even if I do rather like the stuff.)

Comments (13)