SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pequafrog

Blu Ray D.O.A.

pequafrog
15 years ago

I don't want to stir things up here, (well maybe I do) but I just want to post an opinion. I've been thinking about this since we considered buying a Blu Ray player for Christmas. We didn't end up buying one and here's why:

We find that all signs are pointing to trending away from owning any kind of physical media. I mean think about it, when was the last time you walked into a store and purchased a music cd? For me, it's been more than a year. What about DVD? I don't know about you guys, but my kids scratch all ours! I know I know...I should be better with them and teach the kids respect and blah blah blah. I'm just telling you all that our DVD's are really scratched. We don't even go to Blockbuster anymore and the Hollywood Video stores are closing. I think Blockbuster will close soon to. If we want to "own" a dvd, we rent it from the kiosk at our food store for $1 and I rip it to my computer and then watch it on my AppleTV/Panasonic plasma. So for example my kids wanted to watch Wall e over and over (they love watching movies multiple times). I could've purchased it from Target for $16.99, but instead we rented it for a buck. Or if you wait a month, borrow it from the library for free, then rip it. Then you can watch it anytime you like. You own it! Or you can purchase it in HD from iTunes Music Store.

I just never saw the compelling reason to buy an expensive Blu Ray player and start buying expensive Blu Ray movies for $30. I have friends all over the place that have lost jobs, or facing layoffs...Blu Ray just has bad timing in a horrible economy. I think it's D.O.A.

Again, I'm not a pundit, or writer (no kidding!) I'm just a guy with young kids giving a dad's opinion.

What do you all think?

thanks!

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County
More Discussions