SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yowdie06

asbestos tiles - need advice

yowdie06
13 years ago

I recently purchased a home and noticed that after I ripped up the rug, there was a 10X14 section of the floor that contained 9X9 tiles. The house was built in the late 1950's. I went back and forth for over a week on whether to remove these tiles or just re-carpet over them. Either way, new carpet is going to be installed. The tiles are covering concrete slab. They looked in tact for the most part. After a week, my Dad stated he would come remove the tiles for me. I hung a paper/plastic drop cloth over the doorway and taped it down with blue painters tape to avoid anything traveling throughout the house. I also taped over the central air ducts with metallic tape. The room is 20x14 so only part of the room had the tiles, the other section is an addition with only concrete slab. My Dad wet the area with a hose to keep the particles down and scrapped up the tiles. He said majority of them broke because it was glued to concrete. I was not present for this removal and the tiles were already bagged and sealed with duct tape when I arrived. When he was done, my mother wiped down the walls with a damp wash cloth which had some bleach on it as well. When I arrived an hour later, I used a 3M air mask with dual magenta filters and entered the room. I also wiped down the walls and ceiling with a damp cloth and soaked the floor again to keep particles down. I then wiped along the bashboard closest to the floor with a damp cloth and placed a heavy duty tarp over the exposed concrete to try and keep everything down after the floor dries. My carpet will not be installed for at least another week or two, as I need to repaint all the walls and ceiling (another way to seal the dust, if any came up). Here are my questions: 1. Was this done correctly for removing tiles yourself? 2. Does it pose any threat that I removed them using these methods? 3. Should I continue to use the 3M 99.97% mask when entering this room to do my painting? 4. Can I remove the drop cloth I had up to prevent anything from traveling throughout the house. 5. Is there anything else I should do to limit exposure or do you think this was done well? 6. Are particles still going to be floating a day or 2 later or do you think this room is fine now? I really would like to be able to travel through this room now without the mask. 7. Being that I wasnt there for the actual removal and followed all of these safety processes, including using the special 99.97% 3M mask when entering afterwards and wiping down ceilings and walls and resoaking floor, did I expose myself to any danger? 8. How long until I can walk freely in this room? Good advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all for understanding and answering my concerns.

Comments (6)