SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sophiaeh

Reno with asbestos - advice needed

Sophia E
6 years ago

Hello experts -

I left this in a comment but realize it’s probably better to start my own post.

In need of some advice here. We recently bought a 3 story building. My husband started fixing up the second floor right before we got here 2 weeks ago. He pulled up carpet and pried up subfloor in the dining room, then cleaned up with a broom and shop vac. We got it tested and it came back positive for asbestos. 4% and 2% in different layers of the subfloor, and 4% in the adhesive on the remaining black cutback flooring. This floor is also exposed in the bedroom and laundry room, and was when we bought the building.

My questions and concerns:

Husband wants to seal it himself to save money, but I would like to hire someone so that we know it’s done right, as this is our first Reno. Thoughts?

Very concerned over the safety of our family. Is 2 weeks of exposure worth worrying about? We have been living on the black cutback for 2 weeks and it probably won’t be sealed for another 2 weeks or so. I put rugs down in the bedroom and have kept the children out of the dining room. When I sweep, I use a water/cleaner solution to keep dust down as much as possible. Wondering what we should do about staying until it’s done. Should we live elsewhere until it has been taken care of?

What about our clothing, blankets, rugs and kitchenware? Wash and use as usual after floor is sealed? Part of me says to throw it all away and the other part says I’m being ridiculous.

I truly appreciate your advice.

Sophie

Comments (8)