SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
downsouth_gw

How do you pick the right color hardwood?

downsouth
13 years ago

How do you know it's the right color for your house? We are remodeling our retirement home and will have engineered flooring installed in the great room/dining room, a small foyer and two hallways. This is a very open floor plan.

We thought we had it narrowed down to Brazilian Cherry, but now I'm thinking it may be too red for us. The only thing we do know is we want 5" engineered flooring. We have engineered flooring in our current home and it's held up really well the last 15 years. It's "Gunstock" but it's even too red for me.

So now we're starting our search all over again because we read on the internet that the Exotic floors (like Brazilian cherry) fade easier than other types. Our dining room has one wall of windows that gets way too much light. We do plan on covering the huge arch window, and having shutters installed to help with the light situation.

How can you tell if the color is right just by the small samples they give you? The way I feel now I'm into into red and I'm not into blonde, so maybe a medium color that really is a soft brown? Is there a color/brand that doesn't fade as much as others due to light? Help!!!!

Dee

Comment (1)