SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pamchesbay

How Do You Design Mixed Hardwood & Conifer Areas?

Pamchesbay
16 years ago

I've been working on a plan for the driveway and realized that I need advice.

The driveway is gravel, straight, runs north to south, is about 650' long, 15-20' wide including grassy shoulder. After 650', it turns left for 40-50', then right to the house. To the east is a large open field. To the west are 4 lots, all wooded but one that has a house on it.

The only trees along the driveway are two tall, misshapen sweetgums (Liquidamber styraciflua), survivors of Hurricane Isabel.

My thought was to create a plan that includes three components: small to medium ornamental trees mingled with a variety of shrubs, backed by a mixed deciduous /evergreen area. In front of the ornamentals, I'd include pockets of low maintenance perennials, low shrubs, and grasses.

I think the top half or three-quarters should be more densely planted to provide some privacy from the main road (not an impenetrable wall), with plantings becoming more open nearer to the house.

The property has an unusual shape, with several zigs and zags. At the top, it is 50' wide. It is roughly 1,000 feet wide when it reaches the bay. This photo may help:

{{gwi:360946}}

The circle in the middle of the field is an engineered septic system - since it has no competition, it stands out like an odd design feature (or a sore thumb). How to landscape around a 25' x 25' x 6' high mound it is a question for another day.

I was in a tearing big hurry in April and May so I planted 9 ornamentals (redbeds, golden raintrees, Kousa dogwoods) and a small deodara cedar about 30 feet apart along the top 300 feet of driveway. I need to add a mixed border of trees but want this to tie in with the lower half. (more about this follows)

Two days ago, I began planting deciduous trees on the lower half - a gingko and 2 tulip trees. I planned to add red maples, oaks, sweetgums, more tulip trees. Suddenly, I realized that my plan (which is living in my head, not on paper) does not include evergreens - conifers or broadleaf evergreens. Uh-oh.

I have questions that I cannot answer and need answers before going further.

What conifer(s) do you recommend to tie this plan together? What are the principles for designing a mixed deciduous and everygreen/conifer area? What proportion of the various trees (deciduous, conifer, broadleaf evergreen) do you recommend? What important questions have I not asked?

Many thanks (and have a safe Memorial Day),

Pam

Comments (8)