SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chelih

Outdoor porcelain tile discharge, oozing

chelih
16 years ago

My DH & I moved into our new Omaha, Nebr. home in Sept.'06. We carried the same 20x20 Porcelain tile from inside our main-level Kitchen OUTSIDE onto our covered deck--1/2 covered & 1/2 no roof cover.

Supposedly, we did "all the right things" to protect the subfloor from moisture--had an architect, contractor & very experienced tile guy. I don't know any of the correct words but he put orange(?), rubbery, puckered sheets down first, taped the edges then covered them with concrete looking stuff (ha! I sound pretty professional, huh :). Seems he used a spec. type of grout or an additive to the grout, to improve how it "acted" in through the winter.

We had a very cold, cold winter and the tile/grout held up perfectly--no cracks, no probs at all. Then when the heat of the summer started, I began to get little white foamy bubbles popping up through the deck grout--where the sunshine heats the deck--not the covered area. The foam turns to goo/gel, then dries into white flat circles. This happens along side the tile, where the grout touches it. There are probably 100 of these little ooze(sp?) spots, scattered--some edges of the grout have 2 or 3, some have 10--and some end up the size of peas, some quarters---and lines of grout have none.

Through the contractor, he has said I just need to wash the areas & eventually they will go away--he hasn't been out to see it yet. He initially say he didn't know why this is happening and he was going to call the supplier. "They" (minus the grout supplier) are coming out tomorrow or Friday, so I am wanting to get as much info as possible before they arrive. I can find nothing doing a google search.

BTW, under the deck we covered with that siding stuff. Supposedly, there is enough venting to let the wood breath...? I did notice, under the covered deck area, we have some brown sap-looking stuff trying to escape between a few of the vinyl sheets. This is not the area that has the foamy/gel/white stuff but I'm wondering if they are connected....ugh.....

Thank you for your help (in advance).

ChelBell

Comments (3)