SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

The Unthinkable: I Broke My Other Hand!

lynninnewmexico
9 years ago

Can you believe it?!? I am so frustrated with myself!
I tripped over my little 12-lb Tibetan Spaniel the night before last and grabbed a door handle to catch myself so that I wouldn't fall and reinjure my right hand. My left hand twisted and I felt a bone snap in it. BIG ouch!!! Sooooo, now I'm in another cast for the next 6 weeks as the spiral fracture in my 5th metacarpal (long bone in hand below little finger) heals. How ironic, as I'm still in physical therapy for my right hand, which I had surgery on in mid-February!

2014 has been such a negatively eventful year for us thus far. First DD's sorority house burns two nights after they get back from Winter Break. Then she develops an ulcer as a result of all that stress. Next, I injure my right hand, have surgery to repair it and am in a cast with pins through my hand for 6 weeks (extremely painful!!). Three weeks after my surgery, DH has to have emergency surgery for a spontaneous tear in his retina . . . the morning DD was flying home for her Spring Break. Poor thing had to play nursemaid to her two gimpy parents (her words) the entire time! DH's surgery also necessitated him having to cancel 2 weeks of patients while he was home recuperating face down. Finally, I get the pins out and the cast off . . . and DH needs a second eye surgery (2 weeks ago) for a large cataract that formed as a result of the eye trauma from the first surgery.

After his short recuperation from that, we thought that we were finally good to go. We were catching up on our neglected gardens (we have just under three acres) and DD & I were planning on heading to the nursery this morning for another load of plants. DD and I also just bought all the paint and supplies to redo her (new used) desk, chair, headboard and 2 tables before we drive her (and all that furniture) back to college at the end of July. We also have a vacation planned for next month.

And, so here I am, gimped up again in another cast (LOL)! I just really have to keep my sense of humor about the whole thing. I'm going to get a LOT of books read this Summer and get waited on a whole lot, too.

I'm not looking for sympathy. I'm well aware that things could be a whole lot worse. It's just kind of funny and ironic how a chain of events can throw your world upside down. So, I'm going to take it easy and try to find the bright spots in all this.
#1 I didn't have to have surgery or those awful pins this time
#2 I'm not allowed to even attempt any housework for an entire week
#3 DD gets to chauffer me everywhere for at least the next week
#4 I'm going to read my latest book, "Beneath a Marble Sky", in utter peace out here on my shady front portal all day today.
Well, it's a start anyway (LOL)!
Lynn

This post was edited by lynninnewmexico on Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 16:02

Comments (35)