SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jojoco_gw

Gadget or germ buster?

jojoco
14 years ago

Okay, I wanted to post this in the cleaning forum, but honestly, those guys are kind of hard core. A search there turned up nothing on the subject anyway.

Has anyone ever heard of uv-c sanitizing light wands? They are supposed to kill all sorts of nasty germs with a wave of a lighted wand (with a special light bulb). I saw an ad for them in one of those in flight gadget mags and wondered if they work. If so, they would be great in my kids' bathrooms. Not sure if I would trust them in the kitchen, but wanted opinions.

Anyone?

Jo

Here is a link that might be useful: germ be-goner

Comments (30)

• claire_de_luna
    14 years ago

Yes, I have them on my duct work. I know the uv lights really work, as I was living in a ''sick house'' before we had them, and had chronic respiratory issues. I bought a wand to use elsewhere, as I thought it would be helpful for things like dust mites. I've also used it on mold in one of the bathrooms. You want to protect your eyes when you use it (uv sunglass protection), but they do work. I posted a link to the science of a study on this with the EPA somewhere.

Here is a link that might be useful: link to discussion on uv lights

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

Isn't this the same sort of thing that's used in the toothbrush sanitizing stands you can buy? I know those were modelled after something dentists use.

• Related Discussions

Great tool for cleaning tile and grout

Q

Comments (2)
    I got one of those and since I have a huge white tile shower it was a killer for me. I had to do it in stages. I just got a steam cleaner, Stimmy TR5, and I was able to clean the whole thing in one shot, very little scrubbing and it took off the hard water build up pretty well, cleaned both tile and grout. The only areas it was hard to reach were the corners. For these I just bleached them out. Quite a big difference in price, however.
    ...See More

BugBuster

Q

Comments (7)
    "It keeps the insects safe and keeps you out of harm's way! " How funny!!! Swat that sucker!LOL Seriously,I have never seen that but it looks like another one of those "as seen on TV" gadgets that never work with the ease they are shown.I think it would be really hard to get close enough to the bug,unless it is standing still,to suck it up.Oh,and then if you were lucky enough to catch it you can let it go and it will come back later,and maybe madder! LOL Of course it might be a novelty for kids to catch bugs and examine them with.Is that what you meant? I have one of those electrified swatter things that looks like a badminton racket.Has batteries in it and if you hit the bug with it he dies.Kind of like the bug zapper lights.It works pretty well.Good arm exercise.LOL
    ...See More

favorite vegetable peeler?

Q

Comments (32)
    Deana: You are right! If you are healthy.!!!!!! If your immune system is down, like from Cemo and Radiation treatments, you don't want any part of germs. SOOOOO!!!!!you do whatever, to eliminate as many as you can. Also you do what the doctor tell's you. My wife can't even go to Bingo, or Church when getting treatments. Can't be near anyone with colds. Naturally there are germs everywhere. Annie: you're right too! I do the same with tomatoes. Fenworth : You are right too. I wash the potatoes first. Take a slice off one side and stick the fork in and slice away.Then I wash the potatoes again when I'm done. I suggested the fork thing a while back, just for all the members who complained about Arthur in their hands. You are all right . Guess I'm just tired from all the running I've been doing lately. I apologize to everyone. Now, I will have to see where I started trouble in the other threads. LOU
    ...See More

Worthwhile cleaning gadget?

Q

Comments (5)
    I have a whole house vacuum and I had the toe kick dust pan installed in the kitchen. Frankly I rarely use it - in face it's so rarely used that there have been times people in our house have accidentally set it off and we're shocked to hear the noise because we forgot we had it. The reason why I use it so rarely is I find it easier just to use the whole house vacuum to vacuum in the kitchen instead of sweeping. What I regret is that I don't have the kind of whole house vacuum that stores the hoses in the walls - I have to drag mine around the house - but that wasn't an option when I was building my house. Sadly a Roomba doesn't work well in my house - but after all these years my whole house vacuum is still going strong without needing any repairs.
    ...See More
  • readinglady
    14 years ago

My DH is familiar with UV for sanitation due to his work at a chemical plant. One of his co-workers installed a UV system to sanitize his rural water supply. It was cheaper than an entire filtration system and just as effective.

However, I'm not sure about hand-held wands. That's a little different than an enclosed system like water. The wand would be less effective with irregular surfaces and the UV wouldn't penetrate things like cuts and crevices (think wooden cutting board). Also dust on the bulb or bulb age would be a factor in effectiveness, so maintenance would be important.

Regardless, I'd definitely want to keep the kids away from them. I can see children thinking of them like "light sabers" and damaging their eyes.

I did find one story from a TV station who asked a microbiologist to test out a mini-wand. I posted the link.

For myself, in most instances I think instead of the wand I'd rather use a bleach-water solution.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Germ Fighters Put to the Test

• caliloo
    14 years ago

If it is the same sort of technology that the toothbrush holders use, it would be terribly inefficient to use in a wand form. We have one of those toothbrush holders and it says in the directions that it is effective because it focuses the light on the head of the toothbrush for 3 minutes to kill the germs, etc.

Can you imagine holding a wand over each square inch for 3 minutes at a stretch?

Nope - for my kitchen, I am sticking with my scrubbing toothbrush and bleach/water.

Alexa

• arabellamiller
    14 years ago

Nonionizing radiation works by inhibiting the replication of microorganisms. The major disadvantage is that the light is not very penetrating, so the organisms to be killed must be directly exposed to the rays. Organisms protected by solids and such coverings as paper, glass and textiles are not affected. There's also the potential harm that comes from UV damage to human eyes, burns and skin cancer from prolonged exposure.

You're going to have to clean your countertops anyway to get rid of debris since the light won't penetrate dirt. Using a bleach-water solution will clean the dirt as well as disenfect. Do you really need your bathroom counters to be completely sanitary? Unless your kids are licking the countertops, probably not.

Now in the kitchen I suppose you could use it to sanitize after working with something like raw chicken, but again, probably overkill. And you'd have to make sure your countertops, tile grout and all surfaces were completely clean of debris before using anyway. A bleach water solution, clean sponge and some elbow grease are probably a better choice there as well.

So if your countertops and grout are yucky (not saying they are! I'm sure you're kitchen is gorgeous and spotless with gleaming white grout!) - cleaning with a regular kitchen grade cleaner should be fine.

AM

• tammyinwv
    14 years ago

OK, I will probably get some flack on this one. I do agree with the use in the ductwork, and in the water system. But foe general home use in this manner I dont see the sense. For example: you use the wand in the bathrooms. great, germs are dead, not travel forward....As someone is walking from the bathroom with a cold, they happen to rub their nose/cough in their hand etc. Now they flip on the light switch. the phone rings, and they answer it.. Open the refridgerator door.Reach into the silverware drawer to grab a spoon etc etc. Just imagine where all those germs are now waiting on the next person to do the same things.Its impossible to kill all germs, and personally I think some everyday exposure is good to build up our resistence (unless someone has something they should be in the hospital for).I do think its a good idea to occasionally spray or wipe down the bathrooms,phone, and door handles etc. But there really isnt much use to worry yourself to death about it. I think these expensive gadgets are just ways for corporate to kae money off of people's fears.Its just like these new fangled touchless soap dispensers for your home. The ones in a public setting are great if you have air dryers, and automatic faucets as well. But in the home, the soap dispenser is your last worry. You touch the disp. with dirty hands then turn on the water, scrub away, then reach for that faucet you just touched with dirty hands to turn it back off. You dont have to touch the disp again with clean hands.
    When I took a microbiology course the teacher discussed all the micro bugs that was found in everyday foods, especially packaged frozen foods. And about dustmites in our pillows, bedding etc. I still cringe when I see a burst of dust in the air, knowing i am breathing that in. If you think about it, we are seriously out numbered even on a good day.
    Tammy

• jojoco
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Shoot, looks like I'm not going to be lasering my kitchen or bathroom saying "I'm your father" anytime soon. I was hoping someone has a wand and and could tell me scientifically it is the best thing since sliced bread. I never thought about the potential for eye damage either.

AM, thanks for the vote of confidence in my kitchen cleanliness. I think it is beautiful, but I purposely did not put any grouted tile anywhere near the counters because they are sooo hard to keep clean. How does anyone keep grout white? Instead, I went with a busy granite pattern that hides everything. Did I mention that I picked a floor color that matches my dogs? I like a clean house, but am, as Tammy put, "still seriously out numbered even on a good day".
    jo

• arabellamiller
    14 years ago

Good idea! When we redo our kitchen (hopefully in the next millenium) I am totally picking a floor color that matches my dog. Perhaps there's even a color called "dumb black and white mutt".

• caliloo
    14 years ago

"Did I mention that I picked a floor color that matches my dogs?"

ROFL! I love it! I have a stairwell that is marble faux finished in "Dirty Boy Hands Beige" that works for me! LOLOLOL!

Alexa

• Rusty
    14 years ago

I agree with Tammy.

Has anyone besides me noticed that since the advent of all these antibacterial soaps, etc, there seem to be more and more 'bugs' going around?
    And newer and stronger ones developing all the time?

My own, (and unfounded but seems like commen sense) opinion is that anything antibacterial kills off ALL bacteria, good and bad.

And yes, I believe there are some good ones around.

Also, we need a small 'dose' of the bad ones to keep our immune systems working properly.

Isn't that what many vaccines are? Just a small dose of whatever to force our bodies to build up a resistance.

Think 'Small Pox' for example.

Rusty

• pkramer60
    14 years ago

Gadget. It only uses a 6 watt bulb to 'kill" germs. Heck, I have to use a 110 watts UV bulb to kill the algae in my pond and my pond is not that large. And then I need to filter out the dead stuff. So if you wave this magic wand and don't wipe, you still have dead matter breaking down, holing onto the next crop of buggers.

Give me bleach, hot water and good rag and some brushes.

• tammyinwv
    14 years ago

Rusty, I am a nurse and your right about the vaccines. Most are just a weakened strain of the bug. I believe in keeping a clean home, but I think the "gadget" companies are trying to make money with scare tactics.Just like all the diet ads you see.
    Tammy

• annie1992
    14 years ago

I also agree, it's a gadget.

My old doctor used to tell me that we were "sanitizing ourselves sick", that today's children were sick all the time because they have no immunities to anything, we're constantly cleaning and sanitizing everything.

I agree, bleach and a good scrubbing are all that's needed.

Annie

• claire_de_luna
    14 years ago

Of course it's a gadget. It also seems highly impractical to use on everything. I don't use mine in place of bleach, soap or hot water. I need it for my air ducts. It cannot take the place of hand-washing either, which I do religiously after every outing to any public place. I don't have one for my toothbrush, since I figure I can boil a toothbrush, or bleach it, or replace it. I do however think it helps on items like library books, and since I frequent my local library during flu season I feel like I can do something to help myself there. (It's hard to scrub down a book.) When I travel, I use remote condoms (inexpensive plastic bags) and Clorox wipes if there's any question in my mind. I also bring my own pillow and pillowcases I can hand-wash that dry by the next day. Most people aren't inflicted with terrible asthma, or chronic respiratory problems, and can easily keep a fairly clean house for their level of comfort. My own family's protection is the reason I have Tapmasters on my sinks. If I were traveling to another country though and couldn't get my hands on purified water, you'd better believe I'd get one for my water glass!

I know my bulbs need to be replaced once a year, and that's being on the entire time, day and night. Considering the level of use a hand-held wand would receive on the items it's most appropriate for, I think replacing the bulb is not a real concern.

Here's one thing I do know. If you've been sick...really sick, and couldn't get well, you do almost anything to keep that from happening. When your entire life is compromised, buying a UV light isn't going to break the bank if it brings a little peace of mind. Along with my flu shot(s) and everything else, I can say I haven't been sick since I've owned my UV lights. That is absolutely good enough for me, since I've worn those other shoes till they were run down. Is it for you? Not if you don't think so!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

But the point is that the likelihood of getting really sick is actually diminished if you allow some germs in your body. The extra cleaning, particularly with anti bacterial products ultimately could make you MORE susceptible to germs.

Now, to gross everyone out, here is a personal example. I wear a "retainer" so to speak, for tmj purposes. I wear it 24/7 but am always taking it out to talk clearly and eat- all the time. I often set it down "wherever" ( but usually know all the time where it is - mostly!-another story)
    I often leave it in the car before going shopping then put it back in when I get back in the car. I usually use hand sanitizer after the store and before putting the retainer back in but I often forget.
    Dh is wildly grossed out by the lack of constant hand sanitizer on my part. The retainer itself doesn't bother him but that I would forget to use hand sanitizer after touching a zillion gross things then PUT SOMETHING in my mouth is beyond him. However, I haven't been sick in many many years. Never get a flu shot.
    He's sick every winter.

• partst
    14 years ago

I would buy one if someone can convince me it would kill that pink mold I get under the white plastic shampoo bottle in the shower. I spray it with bleach and it comes back in a few days. I donÂt have mold any place else in the house and it drives me nuts. I think itÂs something in the white plastic because nothing else in the shower has it the Neutrogena shower gel bottle doesnÂt get it. It seems just about all shampoo comes in white plastic and so far they all mold. So will it work for mold?

Claudia

• cloudy_christine
    14 years ago

Claudia, for years I thought the pink stuff that formed in the shower was mold. Now I think it comes from rust in the water. For some reason, when we put in a water softener the rust problem became acute, and now the grout turns coral-pink too.

• claire_de_luna
    14 years ago

It's mold that is killed in the duct work, which is a perfect environment for it because of the humidifier. Yes it works on mold. But you can't just kill it and expect it to go away. You have to keep treating it, just as you're doing now. Claudia, I don't know if buying a UV wand would work for the problem you're describing since it's in the shower which is a continually wet environment. In that case it may simply be one method vs. another.

Bumblebeez, I understand what you're saying. Your point however, is completely different than mine. Your husband is grossed out because he's probably getting sick from you! He obviously has a lower tolerance for germs than you do (for whatever reason). Whatever you believe about antibacterial cleaners, his genetic make-up is different than yours. It would be an interesting experiment to see if changing your habits would help him stay more healthy, especially if he's always sick.

I don't typically use antibacterial cleaners at home, since I make my own from baking soda, borax and salt. I do keep them in my car to use when I can't find soap and water. Like your husband, I could easily get sick, but I haven't for a long time.

• partst
    14 years ago

WOW Cloudy,ÂÂ I never thought of the water all I can say is it better not be the water we have the second highest water rates in Ca. LOL I am one of the testers for the water company and it tests low for iron. Every pipe on this property was replaced when we bought and remodeled it was amazing that we could get any water at all the pipes were so old and loaded with years of filth. I was thinking about this and remembered I bought a very small white plastic dish drainer at the camping store for DH to use in his sink and it turned pink in the corners almost immediately. I got tired of trying to clean it so I replaced it with a clear mat type thing and its fine no pink at all. The only place I have this pink gunk in right under anything white plastic colored plastic is fine.

Claudia

• readinglady
    14 years ago

I'm guessing the pink in the shower isn't an iron residue (which would be rusty orange) or mildew or mold but a bacteria called serratia marcescens. It loves humidity and likes to feed off the fats in soap scum. (A big ugh, but that's the way things go.)

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Wiki on Pink Scum

• partst
    14 years ago

Carol,

That seen like maybe what it is but itÂs only under the white plastic bottle of shampoo. That bottle sits within inches of the Neutrogena and DHÂs shampoo bottle and they donÂt have it. ItÂs not any where else in the shower just that one bottle. I did have it show up on a bottle of Olay foaming face wash, white plastic bottle, but I never bought it again. I think I will put the shampoo in a clear plastic bottle and see what happens. The shower gets cleaned weekly we donÂt use bar soap and I havenÂt noticed any soap scum at all not even on the glass door.

Claudia

• cloudy_christine
    14 years ago

Carol, thanks for that suggestion and the link.
    One reason I did not think of rust for years is that, as you say, you'd expect rust to look orangish. I think it was a plumber or a contractor who suggested it was rust, and I was convinced when it seemed to explode with the water change.
    The color seemed possible if you consider the shades on a paint strip: the whitened hues of rusty reds do look peachy pink.
    But I am off to read that link. Maybe I never found this information because I'd search "pink mold" and it isn't mold, it's bacteria!

• readinglady
    14 years ago

Claudia, it will be interesting to hear what makes a difference and what doesn't. And I hope I didn't give the impression I was criticizing anyone's shower or cleaning habits. These organisms survive through growth in challenging conditions and like mildew, eradicating them can be a constant battle.

Soap scum is just one of the things this bacteria feeds on. According to the article, it also grows on bread (I doubt that's in the shower!) and polenta, among other things. So who knows why it grows under one bottle and not the others?

Maybe it's a difference in the formulas for the shampoos?

I thought it was interesting that good old bleach is still the cleanser and disinfectant of choice.

Carol

• cloudy_christine
    14 years ago

That serratia link is fascinating (and disgusting). It certainly describes where the stuff occurs in my bathroom, although I hope not on me. But it describes serratia's pigment as reddish-orange. I'll be reading more to see if it can be pinker. I can't believe it infects people as well as showers. Ugh.
    Maybe the UV wand would make the pink scum vanish!

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    14 years ago

When it comes to our life style and living habits relative to cleanliness and food, you donÂt need a medical or science degree to conclude that our entire system and thinking are designed to accomplish two undesirable goals, i.e. the weakest humans and nastiest germs from generation to generation. We are already beginning to run out of chemistry to kill off some of the newer microbes. Who is to blame? You know the answer.

Previously In another thread, I mentioned that I do make a distinction between being sloppy and unsanitary, and that I have an unusual method to keep my living area healthy, which I choose not to elaborate at that time. Perhaps I should talk about it now.

Without going into a lot about our bodyÂs natural defense mechanism, and the whole science about good germs and bad germs, I believe there is always a perfect balance of nature; we are all part of the chain of food cycle. The moment you begin to upset the balance, the benefit you get may just be temporary.

I donÂt have the desire or time to keep my living space spotless and surgically sanitary. I more or less just keep everything somewhat acceptable, whatever that means. I only do a major tidy up when I expect company.

I donÂt use any chemicals to sanitize, as I feel that whatever is strong enough to kill germs will also be harmful to your body. I use a 55 watt UV germicidal light which I made myself to once in a while clean the various areas in the house. I use it mostly to eliminate odor causing microbes. I donÂt worry about sickness causing germs unless someone who is very sick just visited my house.

UV light is very effective in killing microorganisms. ThatÂs why it is used extensively in hospitals and medical facilities. However I donÂt recommend anyone to use it unless you really know what it can do. It can cause various physical harms, it can bleach certain colors, it can degrade rubber and plastics, it can generate ozone gas which is harmful to humans and damaging to sterling silver wares, etc.

When I use my 55 watt UV light, I normally put it on a timer and I use it when there is no one in the house.

A 6 watt UV light wand is not much use if you use it only for a few seconds.

dcarch

My home-made 55W UV germicidal light
    {{gwi:1497591}}

• arabellamiller
    14 years ago

Hospitals clean before they use radiation to kill microorganisms. It's important for a hospital setting to be not just clean, but sterile. The most effective sterilization is an autoclave. That's what we use for medical instruments, as it kills all organisms (except maybe prions, I'm not sure I'd have to look that up).

We do use UV light in the OR, but the instruments are autoclaved. Your UV light is completely ineffective if you don't remove debris first. The presence of organic matter would inhibit the action of any antimicrobial. Your kitchen counter doesn't need to be sterile, so I'm not really sure why you'd feel the need to use radiation. It does, however, need to be clean. We may have different expectations of what "clean" means.

AM

• readinglady
    14 years ago

This is somewhat OT, but there is a lot of evidence that children are experiencing a higher rate of asthma, allergies, etc. in part because they have no opportunity to develop natural immunities.

It's no joke to say that many farm children benefit from exposure to dirt, manure, stock animals, and all the bacterial forms and pathogens associated with a naturally unsterile environment. (I am not arguing in favor of pesticide/herbicide exposure!) They develop a hardiness which serves them well.

Carol

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

I use the UV from sunlight to disinfect.
    Kitchen sponges, small cloths and cutting boards go onto my outside kitchen window ledge when not in use so they get the afternoon sun every day.

No help for indoor nooks and crannies unless I can open a window and let in the sunlight but at least some things can be put outside, that includes mops and brooms, blankets and cleaning cloths.

SharonCb

14 years ago

"Posted by arabellamiller ---------- Hospitals clean before they use radiation to kill microorganisms. -- The most effective sterilization is an autoclave. -------- Your UV light is completely ineffective if you don't remove debris first. The presence of organic matter would inhibit the action of any antimicrobial. ------ so I'm not really sure why you'd feel the need to use radiation. It does, however, need to be clean. We may have different expectations of what "clean" means. ------------AM"

I am very familiar with hospital sterile requirements. I am also very familiar with critical germ-free research environments ( UV air-lock, one-way traffic, etc.). As I said, I am not one who is too concerned with everything being sterile. I have traveled extensively in many parts of the world where people are very healthy in environments which can be shocking based on our standards.

The UV light I have is just to give me the time-saving quick touch-up in sanitizing the rooms which I donÂt do often.

I find it also useful for the following:

1. I have different meat cutting boards. Still, a quick UV treatment after cleaning can be useful.
    2. I do a quick UV treatment with sushi fish from the store before I make my sushi.
    3. I do a quick UV treatment with cut fresh fruits from the store.
    4. I do a quick UV treatment with my sun dried tomatoes and veggies before I store them.
    5. Without a deep steaming and shampooing, there is really no other way to sanitize carpeting.

dcarch

14 years ago

Regarding spray-on disinfectants (Lysol, etc), which claim to be 99% effective in killing germs on contact.

That may be true. However, the key word is "on-contact" I doubt the atomized spray covers 50% of the area.

dcarch

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm