SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heypearly

VOC laws make it impossible to get tung oil finish

HeyPearly
16 years ago

HI!

I'm in upstate NY and we completely restored my 200+ years old wide plank pine floors about 8-9 years ago. We usd penetrating tung oil "PenSeal" low luster/satin gloss. Also some rooms got the Waterlox Satin. Well, here we are, it's 2007 and the VOC laws prevent it from being sold or available here in NY, NJ, PA, CT as well as many other states. What to do? The floors need to be refreshed, NOT sanded down to naked wood, just screened on the surface and recoated with the same product.How do I get product??

The worst part is my floor guy already screened and recoated with the PenSeal he had on hand. Sounds okay, right?? NOT! He forgot and coated the main center hall,the living room and the back mudroom/entry with HIGH GLOSS! It looks awful, REALLY awful!! The entire house is satin/low luster, and now the most important rooms look like a plastic dip was done. PLEASE, please offer some advice, I just don't know how to fix this if I can't get the proper product to coat the floors with.I'm even thinking of driving to Ohio to buy it. That drive would be an terrible ordeal, due to health issues and a failed back. Can I fix this somehow? I can't be the only one facing this issue, can I?

Comments (3)