SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
30years1moretime

Tung Oil Regrets - need advise please

30years1moretime
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

So, three years ago we installed Douglas fir T&G floors (trees off our land). And for VOC reasons and appearance we decided on Tung Oil cut with Citrus Solvent. We applied 7 coats as instructed; until the wood stopped absorbing. Well, it looked great for about a week. Then it became the dreaded dull, dirty ugly floor that just a few special folks get when using tung oil - no patina whatsoever. Our guess, it's the fir.

We want a little shine and patina. We want to go over the floor with something that won't soak in and look dull in a week or a month.

Below are pictures of the plain floor (with dog toy) - yuck.
Another picture of the floor with Johnson's One Step Wax on the left (almost absorbed in 24 hours) and Watco Danish Oil on the right.
The other picture is the Watco on the left and Howard's Bee's Wax on the right. (The Howard's contains bee's, carnuba and orange oil).
It's only been 24 hours so I'm not sure how all will absorb in a week or more.

I like the Watco because it tones down the orange tones.

Any advise please! Would a combination of these products work; say the Danish Oil, then wax as needed with Howard's. This wood is so porous I'm not sure anything other than poly will give it a lasting glow, but I don't want poly.

Comments (45)