SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lascatx_gw

Tung Oil finish showing or collecting dirt?

lascatx
12 years ago

I have searched several times and cannot find discussions I was sure I'd seen about how happy folks were with tung oil finished floors. I finally posted a question on flooring and have no replies after several days. I'm wondering if it was here in kitchens. Anyone able to help?

We are looking at installing an unfinished wood floor and doing it with tung oil. We know a man who does that and we loved the idea. Problem is that the 3/4" planks over 3/4" plywood installation he does creates too many problems for us. We found the same wood (mesquite) in 1/2 unfinished that we are told can be glued down on a concrete slab unlike most of the wood floors around here. But those folks say most or all of the folks who have tried a tung oil finish have sanded and redone the floors with something else. They suggest Waterlox, which I've read a lot about here with counters -- and floors, perhaps?

The reason they say most people don't like the tung oil finish is that is shows dirt too much. That makes me think they left too much oil on the surface -- perhaps expecting a sheen?

Has anyone here been unhappy with a tung oil finish on their floors or counter? If so, why? And if you have one you love, I'd be happy to hear about that too. Thanks.

Comments (15)